Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wooden ware  (Read 3915 times)

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
wooden ware
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if my question is allowed, so if it's not it's due to my ignorance of the rules.  I'm new to beekeeping this year.  Plan on purchasing 2 8 frame all medium hives for next year.  I was looking at Brushy Mtn.  I read someone's comment (not necessarily here) that their frames were junk.  Does that follow through on the rest of their wooden ware? 

Thanks,
Barb

Offline BenC

• House Bee
Re: wooden ware
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:28:45 pm »
Your question is kind of in that grey area concerning whether it's allowed or not   ;) :-D  but I'll give you an answer based on my experiences.  I used predominantly wedge top- grooved bottom frames from either Brushy Mt or Dadant.  Out of an order of 2-300 I might get 4-5 that I don't like and that's because of bad sidebar pieces.  I suspect the frames from both suppliers come from the same source, they appear identical to me.  Other frame configurations may differ in quality but I can't say myself.  I have heard the pre-assembled ones can be a bit of a gamble quality-wise but someone else will have to answer that one.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:19 am »
I have purchased my stuff from 3-4 different suppliers so that I can evaluate quality, service, prices, etc.  The BIG cost is shipping!  So be careful to note where your supplier is located and determine your TOTAL cost.

All of my boxes have been purchased from Rossman because I don't want to paint them.  Would rather have them grey-out so they are not as noticeable by the neighbors!  Pricing is probably a little higher because they are cypress and the quality is pretty good.  Fred Rossman will really bend over backwards to make sure that you're happy.  This past weekend, Fred was at the NC summer beek meeting and I bought a dozen boxes from him.  He was sold out of some other hive components (i.e. tops, bottom boards, etc.) and agreed to ship them to me FREE!

All of my frames and foundation were purchased from Brushy and they too have been pretty good on quantity and price.  Have not really noticed any "bad" quality of the wood other than the occasional blemish.  But I think that's normal............mother nature doesn't grow perfect trees!  Brushy's service is pretty good as well.  Last December, Brushy had a special sale where they would ship anything east of the Mississippi FREE of freight charges.   Good time to buy those heavy items (if you live east of the Mississippi River)!

My suits, hats, veil, smoker, and tools were purchased from Betterbee.  I have been satisfied with all pricing, quality, and service from BB.  They have been responsive to my questions and the quality is good, WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  The frame removal tool that I purchased from BB recently does not fit wooden top bars.  BB tells me that it is really made for the plastic frames.  Their description in their catalog does not say anything about it not fitting the standard, wooden top bar.  This is the only issue that I have had with BB and I'm trying to work something out on this one!  Regardless, I would still purchase future stuff from them.  Incidentally, I bought a frame removal tool from Fred R. this past weekend and it fits the wooden top bar just fine!

Just my thoughts!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:39 am »
Thanks.  Appreciate the input.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:24:32 pm »
Your question is kind of in that grey area concerning whether it's allowed or not   ;) :-D  but I'll give you an answer based on my experiences.  I used predominantly wedge top- grooved bottom frames from either Brushy Mt or Dadant.  Out of an order of 2-300 I might get 4-5 that I don't like and that's because of bad sidebar pieces.  I suspect the frames from both suppliers come from the same source, they appear identical to me.  Other frame configurations may differ in quality but I can't say myself.  I have heard the pre-assembled ones can be a bit of a gamble quality-wise but someone else will have to answer that one.

Both get their frames from Western Bee supply out of Paulson, Mt.  I save a bit by buying them direct from Western Bee and getting in on their yearly sale.  Last time I think I bought 50 frames at 38 cents each.  Shipping added about 3 cents to each frame but I also bought some reversable bottom boards for top entrances and 5 8 frame supers.  Still a frame for under 45 cents is pretty good.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline CTbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
I also read the so called post on BS.com. Don't believe what you here,  I bought a medium hive from brushy with frames. I had zero problems with the frames or anything else for that matter. The frames are not junk. Brushy has free shipping the month of December :-D
If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:58:43 pm »
HAD free shipping.  Who knows what might happen this winter.  Sure we would all like to ride that train but I'm not counting on seeing it again.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »
Hi neighbor!!   Brian is right ON for our location especially.  I get all my wooden ware from Western and never have been sorry.  UPS ground gets to Utah in just 2 days and is as inexpensive as it gets.  Use Western.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:38:24 pm »
help me out here.  Western?

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 11:40:55 pm »
Sorry    Western Bee Supply  just up the road
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:21 pm »
thnaks.  They said that.  I just need to read.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 08:12:43 pm »
Brushy Mountain equipment is fine.  So is Miller Bee Supply or any of the other suppliers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin