Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Tool  (Read 15444 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Hive Tool
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:02:08 pm »
I lost my hive tool and need to buy another.  Anyone ever use one of these?  If so, what are your likes/dislikes about it?  Thanks.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=876&idCategory=
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Re: Hive Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:43:39 pm »
That is a good price for that style, or you could get this one.

http://bee-outside.com/hivetool.aspx

Reaaly depends which you prefer, this is one of the few things I have seen where the design never changed but the price range was huge, I have seen both types selling for $15+

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
I have one, and like it. But back at the shop and even in the field, I use the hook for lifting frames far less then the standard "bent" end on a normal hive tool which I use for scraping, etc. So I think it's nice to have one in the tool box, but I just end up using my standard hive tool 99% of the time anyways.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »
The one oldenglish posted can be bought at most hardware stores.  there it is called a Cabinet molding bar, goes for under $10.00.  If you need one in a hurry.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:20:26 pm »
Better buy two-(I think they grow legs)- ;) RDY-B

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 05:32:19 pm »
I have one and would advise anyone to get one. Using the "old" style I have already broken box corners trying to pry a frame out or broke top bars trying to get them out. The style you are talking about is great, it lifts a frame out by using the frame next to it with really no chance for cracking the top bars. With this type you hold the tool horizontal and put the J part down between two frames then pivot the tool vertically. Half the frame is lifted up about 1 inch, I grab that side with one hand then use the tool to get the other side out and grab it with my other hand and lift it out.  I dont think I even have the old style anymore. You will not be disappointed if you get the J style.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:58:49 pm »
Yes buy more than one. They have been around a long time, that is what my dad got me started on. I had 3 now have 2 order an extra.  Tony 

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:51:22 pm »
 I have 2 of them and really like them. I keep 1 in my tool box, in the truck and 1 at the shop,so I don't loose it. I think that Dadant is cheaper.
                                Good luck,
                                 Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:53:00 pm »
I have one.  I never use it.  I use this one:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/prodinfo.asp?number=591
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:27:46 pm »
I have one of them and like it too.  I like the J-hook end makes it easy to pry sticky frames out. And it don't have the sharp bent end to cut into truck seats if I forget it in my back pocket.   :-D Not that I ever cut a truck seat with a hive tool but somebody might have I know of.   :-D  They are nice to have and that's a great price even if you decide you don't like it.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 07:41:02 pm »
Well, I actually bought all of the ones that are shown. I didn't know which ones I would like so I got a few different styles, since I figure I will probably lose one anyway.
Having said that I have not used them yet since I don't get bees until this spring.
The reason why I am posting is that Brushy Mountain is offering a free hive tool for each customer throughout the whole 2009 year, the code for redeeming the tool is FHT.
Its the basic 10 inch tool that is the silver and red color on their website, but I am mentioning it because if you order the newer j hook style or whatever you decide on you can still get this one for free and keep it as a spare.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:25:34 pm »
I use to use that style, but have switched to the Betterbee giant hive tool and love it.   It is so sharp compared to any other hive tool I have ever used, you could almost shave with it. Much less damage when scraping propolis since you don't need to use as much force.   I also find the 2 different length J hooks come in quite handy.  I misplaced it one day and had to revert to the old tool and said never again and got 3 more of the giants.

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1526
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:34 am »
Wow.  Lots of responses!  Thanks.  The one oldenglish posted is the type I had lost.  Same color too actually....maybe that is mine.   :lol:  You are right too...that is a good price.  Maybe I will get both.  Thanks again for the responses and Greg, thanks for detailing how they are used, I wasn't sure how that worked exactly.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:15:25 am »
OOhh Robo, I'd hurt myself with that thing..no running w/hive tools! :Looks like a good burgler beater though!  :shock: roll: :evil:  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:43 am »
I have the one from Brushy that MB posted. Will buy one like Robo has if iI remember :-D!

Will only return to the standard old style if I can't find my J hook!!!
John 3:16

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 02:08:24 am »
I have both the old style scraper and the J-hook.  Like other have posted, the one at the beginning of the thread is good for prying frames up and the scraper type for separating boxes or the combination of the two to get the job done.  I like the one Robo listed, might have to order one to try it out.  Looks hell for stout.

David

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 02:39:27 am »
Fond this page in the mann lake catalog,

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/infopage.asp?idPage=50

good selection and by far the best price I have found so far.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 10:56:14 pm »
I have the J-style.  I like it very much, but have never used any of the others.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 06:32:47 pm »
THe Last time I had a  spray can of bright yellow out I paint both of them just for that reason.
My-smokepole
My-smokepole

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 04:08:47 am »
The Maxant hive tool, (the one you are calling the J hook) is the only type I use.  I have bought a lot of them, I like to keep one in every yard, one in each truck, one in each tool box and a couple of extras in the house and honey house.  Haven't lost one yet!

Beware of the cheap ones!  They are not as sturdy as the true Maxant tools and will bend. :(

anything