Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Supers  (Read 4863 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Honey Supers
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 08:33:45 pm »
remember also that in the honey supers you don't need to put all the frames in if you don't want to.  The space there will not be the problem it is in the brood box once they are started straight.  Fatter honey combs are nice for extraction.

If I were starting over I would have gone with mediums all the way through.  I am happy to have shallows for honey though.  Those suckers are heavy and there is a difference between carrying 50 pounds of feed and wrangling 50 pound honey supers and contending with bees, etc. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 09:38:12 pm »
Draw back...still hard in some places to find medium nucs w bees if you want to buy any..

Put the 5 deep frames in two medium boxes and the bees still won't care.

Talking about future bees.....yes it can be done but most want the frames that fit the equipment they have...put bees in a 5gal pail...they care not, but not an easy clean up  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 01:59:10 am »
When should I harvest the honey this year if I even have anything year?

There is no set date.  After they have filled the boxes that they are going to overwinter in(2 deeps?), you can pull any in the super once they cap it.  I usually harvest once in the middle of July and then again in August.  In August is when I make sure to leave them enough for winter.  Your time may be different due to your location.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:04 am »
When should I harvest the honey this year if I even have anything year?

You should speak with a few people in your area so you know what to do after you harvest or know what to expect.  I pull boxes off in the fall and leave what I think is enough to get to spring.  I don't extract all the frames so I have them and the wet supers to build up in the spring.  Some people will pull all the supers and then cram the hive full of syrup to overwinter on.  What you do will dictate what you have to do afterwards.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:54 pm »
I'm the next county above bwallace. I'm in the process of making my second pull of the year. Just remember, here in a couple of weeks they'll be little out there for them so don't create a starve out. I rob and feed later just for the warm and fuzzy.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »
I just checked my bees. On the top deep 10 frame I had 6 frames drawn out but only the middle 3 looked of brood or honey. The other was pretty much just drawn comb. On the other one it was about 3 frames drawn out with one full. So it might be a while before I put any supers on but I am getting ready.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »
Listen to what GSF just posted.  If you are just a couple of weeks from when your nectar source dries up you would be foolish to take any.  You may be buying sugar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
I will. I am hoping my acre and half garden might help out on the drought though. About half of it is wildflowers

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 08:28:50 pm »
I will. I am hoping my acre and half garden might help out on the drought though. About half of it is wildflowers

A honey bee makes 1/12 a teaspoon of honey in her entire life. Imagine how many flowers she visited for that 1/12 teaspoon. So 1/2 acres of wildflowers ain't a drop in a bucket in the scheme of things. It just makes the keeper feel good  :wink: Don't count on the flower garden helping much.
John 3:16

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »
Thanks

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 03:08:25 am »
I pull honey off all year round but always leave them with 9 full frames or equivalent this time of year (our winter) - that should last them 12 months if need be but certainly 2-3 months through the quietest time of year. Our nights are down to 13-14*C at the moment days are 24-6*C but periodic rain. even so they are still pulling honey as you can smell it on the air. Will need to take a look when the weather is fine but predictions are rain for the next 7-10days
David L

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »
Sc-bee you have just challenged me to make a huge summer wildflower garden for my bees so they will not starve next year.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 01:51:42 pm »
Investigate before you plant.  Some of the best sources are kind of ugly for a flower garden, but buckwheat and sunflowers are usually good late plants.  find stuff that bees use, because they don't use every kind of flower and try to time bloom for dry spell.  Every little bit helps.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
I am going to expand the wild flower garden and I will inter space with perennial flowering perennials. I am also pumped to discover that the tallow tree is a big honey flow tree. I have some around my place and until now hated them. But if they can give me a good flow and space it out over 2 months I will be ok with them.

anything