Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Golden Rod  (Read 3940 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Golden Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 09:14:41 am »
We got some really solid rain Saturday. The golden rod is not quite bloomed out but it is starting to yellow up. I hear golden rod honey stinks in the hive so I am ready to open the lid up soon and smell it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
We got some really solid rain Saturday. The golden rod is not quite bloomed out but it is starting to yellow up. I hear golden rod honey stinks in the hive so I am ready to open the lid up soon and smell it.
If they are collecting nectar from Goldenrod, you will not need to open the hive to smell it once they start. The first time I walked into my apiary when Goldenrod was flowing, I thought I had a serious problem with one of my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »

if you want to get a heads up on the smell of goldenrod. go into you kids luandry basket a week after they have left their running socks in and take a good wif. you dont have to open the hive like jim said. just walk within ten feet and breath deaply. you will know it.

john

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:48 pm »
We have had a mild and wet Summer but no rain for the past 3 weeks.  Late Friday and Saturday we got about an inch just in time for the goldenrod to start blooming.  Was out this morning and many plants were really starting to turn yellow.
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 03:17:00 pm »
I guess that rain Saturday was pretty good throughout Alabama.

bw, If you're down wind of a hive that has GR honey curing you can smell it a good ways off. Even if you've never smelled it you'll know what it is when you smell it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 04:16:53 pm »
I look forward tot he smell. Soon my girls are going to be extra busy, I hope.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:10 pm »
The really dark orange pollen here is from asters or asparagus [really].   I gotta say, I like the smell of goldenrod honey.   I like that you can smell it all over the yard.   We have about 10 different kinds of goldenrod around so maybe the majority of it isn't the stinky kind.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »
I tried to take a picture of the front of my three hives to show how many bees were backing up to get in but the phone pic wasn't good enough to see the bees.
Cheers
gww

anything