Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mr. MB......Some Information, Please.........  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Mr. MB......Some Information, Please.........
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:20:03 am »
I have been reading the posts concerning swarming and when should you expect to see eggs/larvae in the old remaining hives.  Also, I have been studying your Bee Math chart.

I have two 2nd year hives that were really cooking with bees.  After splitting the strongest hive, I have had four swarms (suspect two swarms from each hive) beginning on April 6 thru April 14.  I was able to capture all four swarms but lost one to the scout bees putting together a good story and convincing them to leave.  I'll try your suggestion of the lemongrass oil next time!

Since a swarm generally happens a couple of days before the new queen emerges, should eggs/larvae be seen about 14 to 18 days after the swarm (difference between Laying in 28 days and Emerging in 16 days +- a few days per the Bee Math chart)?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: Mr. MB......Some Information, Please.........
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:03:40 pm »
Two Bees, I think you are on the right track, you've got a couple days (give or take) until she hatches and then 14 or so days until the virgin queen mates and begins to lay.  However, I will let Mr. MB address that part of the post...my question is what race of bees are they and how to you think they keep coming up with queens to swarm so quickly after you split them?  Did you think they needed supering at the time, or do these bees just have itchy feet?
-Mike
-Mike

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:41 pm »
Hey, Mike!

These are Italians.

The split hive came through the winter with 2 deeps and 1 medium for stores.  When I inspected them around March 20th, the top medium and top deep were packed with bees.  I thought that maybe the bottom deep was empty since I didn't rotate the deeps during early February/March (ok, so shoot me!). 

I assembled a couple of extra deeps with frames of foundation and a week later (March 28), I reinspected the hive and found that all three boxes were packed with bees!  So, I removed 6 frames and the old queen from the original hive and put her in a new hive.  Replaced the six frames with foundation and added a medium super with ten frames of foundation.  I thought that would be enough to relieve their desire to swarm but I was wrong. 

Ten days after this split and supering, the first swarm left and a few days after that, another swarm left. I'm thinking there was more than one replacement queen that survived the "simulated swarm" split that I did on March 28.

I don't know about itchy feet but I went from 2 hives to 6 hives in a little over a week!  And should have had seven until one of the swarms blew town!  Sure glad I hadn't ordered any additional packages this year. 

I think I will be splitting both of the older hives again in late May or early June.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:27:42 pm »
Wow...that sounds like some thriving bees!  Sounds like you did everything you should.  I was just curious because I am raising Carnies and they are supposed to have a greater propensity towards swarming, so I was hoping to learn something.  In retrospect, are you thinking that rotating the brood boxes would have relieved some of the congestion?  I would never imagine that they could build up numbers enough to swarm so quickly after a split...I will try to watch mine closely as they get established. 
-Mike
-Mike

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »
The new swarm could happen anytime after the cells are capped.  So that means it might be 8 days before the queen emerges and another 14 before she's laying.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »
Soooo.........if my last swarm was April 14,

I should begin to see eggs/larvae around May 6 give or take (8 days plus 14 days from April 14)?

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:32 pm »
I have been reading the posts concerning swarming and when should you expect to see eggs/larvae in the old remaining hives.  Also, I have been studying your Bee Math chart.

I have two 2nd year hives that were really cooking with bees.  After splitting the strongest hive, I have had four swarms (suspect two swarms from each hive) beginning on April 6 thru April 14.  I was able to capture all four swarms but lost one to the scout bees putting together a good story and convincing them to leave.  I'll try your suggestion of the lemongrass oil next time!

Since a swarm generally happens a couple of days before the new queen emerges, should eggs/larvae be seen about 14 to 18 days after the swarm (difference between Laying in 28 days and Emerging in 16 days +- a few days per the Bee Math chart)?

Two Bees:

This in no way is an insult to Michael Bush who has been a marvelous member for a very long time. But I'd like to point out two things (said very friendly of course) here goes:

1) By addressing it to MB directly, you start off by throwing "Collectively" thousands of years experience between the members on the forum - most people will just skip over it saying "If my knowledge, and ability to anwser you isn't good enough, then why as a commercial beekeeper for 40 years do you think I can't answer a question - it isn't the Michael Bush Show after all" (note, that character is ficticious and was not intended to represent any member here. But the point is the same, you have a resource of nearly 4000 members and I'm sure you can draw conclusions from repliies from our membership and it is a shame to waste that pool of knowledge and experience.

2) if you have a message for a particular member - then send them a private message - doesn't get much simpler and usually catches the member's eye a whole lot quicker.

I'm just passing this on, and not necessarilly to you, but as an example that you have here a great opertunity to collect data that would make you a better beekeeper (not saying you aren't already) by weighing the info and conclude feasible answers. It is the best way to do it.

Hope that was enlightening, it surely is not a bash toward you or Michael Bush: I just like members to understand the opertunities we have here and hate to see anyone miss the boat (especially date eccential questions) if Mike was on vacation or lecturing somewhere or God forbid tied up over something serious - you may have been out of luck. I won't even try to list the huge group of bee savvy people here who can also tackle that question, but you placed yourself in a box that really limited your responces. I can guarentee that a few tons of beekeepers saw your post, felt ditzed and even knowing the answer kept on walking by. This was written to be helpful, I surely hope you took it that way :) Best Days in Beemeeping!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 04:45:24 pm »
No problem! 

The first reason I specified MB in the heading was because I was using his Bee Math chart and thought he would be the best person to expand on the logic used in the chart and how it relates to my specific swarm example.

Secondly, I did not send the request to MB privately because the other people on this forum could find the information beneficial as well.

Having said that, I will take your points into consideration in the future!

TB

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »
>I should begin to see eggs/larvae around May 6 give or take (8 days plus 14 days from April 14)?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything