Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dying Colony  (Read 1291 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Dying Colony
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:12:41 pm »
I'm ready to let go of the little swarm that has struggled for a long time. I have given them plenty of time to get it together but it looks like it was a really poorly mated queen (lots of drone) and now no sign of her or new brood. I gave them a few frames over time to see if they'd pick up and re-queen if needed but no-go. They're dwindling and now there's some moth larvae cruising in the comb. What's the procedure for breaking it down?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Re: Dying Colony
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »
It's very frustrating but a fact of life. If you have any other colonies, I would break everything apart and shake the remaining bees out in front of the other hives. David.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:13 am »
If was moth were not an issue, I would say a newspaper combine...BUT, since it is, I am with cdray...shake 'em near the other hives, and hopefully they will be allowed in.  Sorry...   JMO! 

Freeze the salvageable frames and comb to kill the larvae and store for future use.   

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:03 am »
No, I know they're done. Really happy with my other swarm catches and currently productive hives. No worries there. Just needed to know if there's anything special that should be done. The moths aren't bad yet. Just 3-4 burrowers but I'll freeze or toss those.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:18:04 am »
i think of you did a newspaper combine on a really strong colony the bees would take care of the wax moth problem.  but, if you have the means to freeze those combs it would make things easier on the bees.