Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee careful if you keep bees in NY  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee careful if you keep bees in NY
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:08 pm »
But N.Y. police bee expert Detective Anthony Planakis said it was too many bees for such a small space. "Picture 45 dogs in one apartment," he said. "It's cruelty to the bees."     :?

I bet those bees were all well fed and watered.  Sounds like he was making splits and nucs like crazy.  They got him because the hives were not registered.

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:47 pm »
Par for the course.  As long as you pay, you can play.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »
total theft..

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:19:55 am »
... They got him because the hives were not registered.

Don't forget to take into account the supposed bee cruelty.  This is the wedge issue that the "humane" organizations like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) or The humane Society of the United States (HSUS) spout all the time about bees and bee keeping.  

If these two organizations were ever by either hook or crook to get controll of the government organizations dealing with bees, you would not be allowed to have enough nurse bees in a hive to keep your brood alive.  Which BTW is exactly what Ingrid Newkirk of PETA and her HSUS counterpart Wayne Pacelle want, no more honey and no more beekeeping.  Because PETA and HSUS know what is best for bees better than the bees know what is best for themselves.  

What is next in NYC?  Honey only sold in 1 & 1/2 cup or 16 oz jars like Mayor Bloomberg wants to do with sugar sweetened soft drinks?  After all honey is sugar only in a more concentrated form than found in Pepsi.  Don't give me any of that "Oh, they'll never do that."  The beer brewers supported the Prohibition Amendment up until the last minute because they thought the "FIX" was in and beer would be the only legal alcoholic beverage left standing in the aftermath of the 18th amendment.  The only trouble was that Congress double crossed the beer barons and when the bill came out of committee it sent the beer barons to the poor house by outlawing beer as well wine and spirits.  

Evidently NYC's finest has never been in an apiary little less seen a large fruit orchard in the spring time when the trees are in bloom.  A semi going to the California almond groves would likely contain over 10 times as many bees in less space than this drive way.

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13:22 am »
Neighbors said they had become  fed up with all the buzz because of the insects, and that the bees have, at times, attacked in swarms, according to CBS..........obviously they belonged to a gang of some kind....those darn city bees!!!!

One story reported he had stripped all their honey, they were in poor health and were not going to be able to get thruogh the winter (I think their little ribs were showing and their fur was matted).....Now if he went from 1 hive to 45 hives (with their estimate of 66,666 bees per hive), I'd have to say he is doing something right.  I believe he could teach us all something, I would sign up for his class.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:24:28 am by Grandpa Jim »