Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pail heater..do I find it useful  (Read 2987 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Pail heater..do I find it useful
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:23:58 am »
Do you find a pail heater
Useful in your operation?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pail heater..do I find it useful
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:28 am »
Unfortunately it gets hotter than I like.  If you get it above the honey line on a bucket it will melt plastic.  That is much hotter than I ever want my honey...  Putting a bucket of honey in a car in the sun with the windows up is better...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »
I made a heater box out of some deep boxes I got cheap. It will hold four buckets. I heat it with two 15w bulbs. It stays 83 degrees in the insulated box.

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
Up until this past year I would always sell out before the honey would crystallize. But, as we have started having honey later into the year I have found the pail heater useful. But, as Mr. Bush points out they do get pretty hot so you have to watch it. I recently bought a bottling tank and like it a lot better for reliquifing the honey. If you keep honey into the fall and winter you are going to eventually need a way to warm it up for bottling or reliquifying.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »
I use a water bed heating pad set at 90 or 100.  The are just long enough to wrap around a bucket and held in place with a pc of soft wire.  The therm. bulb is then pushed down between the pad and bucket.  Plug it in, set the temp and walk away