Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using cedar mulch around hives?  (Read 11537 times)

Offline dgc1961

• House Bee
Using cedar mulch around hives?
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:27:00 am »
I am wanting to lay some mulch around my hives, and I have been using in the garden a mix of pine and cedar.  I know that cedar repels bugs, but does it also repel bees?

I don't want to lay it around the hive and hive them leave because of the smell.

Anybody with any experience with this?
David C.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Using cedar mulch around hives?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:51:52 am »
I have no experience with cedar mulch,  but I have been unsuccessful trying to get colonies to abscond from trees by flooding the inside with Beegone.  If that won't make them leave, I can't imagine cedar chips around the hive would.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:17:48 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:12:10 am »
Cedar is used to build closets in homes to store clothing and the idea is that it keeps moths out and as far as I know it does a good job of it.

Cedar mulch is different, its not in an enclosed environment and is subject to the elements, sun, rain, etc...

It will not repel as many insects as you think it will once mother nature beats down on it.

Here in southeast Louisiana Formosan termites love to dine on cedar. As for pine bark mulch, it will attract termites, as they love to feed on pine. Go with pine needles or cypress, bugs don't like to eat either one, but will still nest in these mulch types and any mulch type for that matter.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:43 pm »
The best bee hives I ever had were made of cedar.  It seemed much easier to get bees to accept cedar made hives over pine, fir, or hemlock made hives.  I've even found bees collecting cedar sawdust as if it were pollen, so I don't think cedar bothers bees in the least.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:10:30 am »
I'm using cedar bark mulch under and around my hives.  It doesn't seem to bother them at all.  In addition several of my hive boxes are cedar and those colonies are growing like weeds  8-)

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

anything