Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advice appreciated - moving a cutout about 100m from original hive location  (Read 1917 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hey everybody, I was wondering if I might be able to get some advice... I did a cut out about 12hrs ago from under a roof on a house (not fun). The homeowner wants to keep the hive so we've moved it about 200m
from the original hive. The hive is closed up with fly wire to keep the bees locked in. The complicating thing is the home owner is only at the house for the weekend (they're renovating) and they have to head home 24hrs after the job was done... I've suggested they keep the bees locked up for the day (is there a risk of them over heating if it's 25oC outside? They have vents in the lid and the entrance is covered with fly wire so it breathes... And also, i suggested that when they remove the fly wire 24hrs after the cutout was completed that they put a branch across the entrance - only thing is that branch will be there until they come up next weekend... Any advice to stop them going back to the old hive is appreciated. I'm not even 100% sure we got the queen alive - it was a messy cut out! I'll post some pics later...

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
IF THEY HAVE THE HIVE IN THE SHADE IT SHOULD BEE OK.I WOULD PUT THE BRANCHES AND GRASS IN FRONT OF THE HIVE TO MAKE THEM REORIENT TO THE HIVE'S NEW  LOCATION.IT WON'T HURT TO LEAVE THE BRANCHES  TILL THE NEXT WEEK.YOU WILL HAVE SOME GO BACK TO THE OLD HIVE AREA BUT THAT IS NORMAL.      .....SCHAWEE
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
If you got the queen, they will orient to the box and be there next week.

If you didn't get the queen, they will be back in the house next week and you can do it again.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Thanks guys  :) there's apparently a heap of bees clustered on the front of the hive today trying to get in so fingers crossed the queen is in there. The homeowner is, after having caught any small clusters in the old hive location, going to high pressure spray the area where the hive was... I did suggest they take the hive home with them (about 200kms away) for the week and then take them back again but they're not keen on that idea sadly...

anything