Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will Owning A Mac Set Me Free?  (Read 14440 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Will Owning a Mac Set Me Free?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 08:43:09 am »
Don't forget,  macs switched from PowerPC processors to Intel a few years ago,  so why pay the premium for the same hardware.  If your goal is to get away from Windows and move to a unix, there are many excellent distros of Linux freely available or you can even run OS X if your wanting the mac look & feel.   I have no first hand knowledge, but I hear Linux has better performance than mac OS X.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 07:26:30 pm »
well i'm glad you can at least work your system now doak, its nice when they works. I paid the big bucks for my dish, and its still slow. but then again, I work it. they don't like that, I just came off 24 hours FAP . I run Vista 64 bit, and am going to do windows 7 shortly. I happen to like MS, then again they do my traiinin. I rarely have problems that I don't create myself.
I got an emachine for my wife a few years back, and passed it to my daughter, worked for her for a few more years. There a good reliable system,  economic . and plenty fine for a normal home user.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:04 pm »

Don't forget,  macs switched from PowerPC processors to Intel a few years ago,  so why pay the premium for the same hardware.  If your goal is to get away from Windows and move to a unix, there are many excellent distros of Linux freely available or you can even run OS X if your wanting the mac look & feel.   I have no first hand knowledge, but I hear Linux has better performance than mac OS X.

redhat, or suzie are both top notch.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
I have had my dish now for two&1/2 weeks.
The only problem I am having is at a certain time in the late afternoon.
Seems to slow down a little or give my that age old thing, can't find, or page error.
I think that is something out of my and my machines control.
Something like a site doing maintenance or the asteroids are fighting, or who knows. :roll: :)doak

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 06:10:54 pm »
Appreciate the feedback guys, haven't made a switch just yet.

...JP

JP, you can go the this Ubuntu site, download and burn the OS to a CD and run it from your CD/DVD on your machine, so you can try it without destroying your XP setup or installing another HD. It can even be download to a flash drive and run from there. You will find running it off a CD/DVD to be faster than XP.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition

Jay

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Will Owning A Mac Set Me Free?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:12 pm »
I just happened to see a guest perusing this thread and thought I'd give a belated update. Most of you who know me on here know by now that I did in fact purchase an iMac this past May or was it April.

Anyway, absolutely love my Mac!  Love it! Love it! Love it!

I also was due a phone upgrade with Verizon and purchased an iphone, another great decision! The imac and iphone together, can you say user friendly!

Enjoying itunes too, downloading lots of good tunes.

iphone I have come to realize is a computer that happens to be a phone, as well as a pretty nice lil camera (video too)!

Having lots of fun with the technology folks.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »
 Yes JP. This is what I will purchase soon as my old razor dies (yeah - I said razor!! I know they are very old by today standards)
An Iphone!!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 05:34:15 pm »
Will Owning a Mac Set Me Free?

No, but Linux will :-D

Mac and Free just don't fit together......

I've been running Linux since '92 (Slackware)... amazing all the distros out there now.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 02:57:26 am »
Vista destroyed my life.

My MacBook Pro has restored my sanity.

anything