Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary  (Read 7889 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 08:08:57 pm »
Well, that's not as bad as I thought, since you have a little bit of privacy from those trees...

I want to change my vote to put up bio-hazard / superfund site warning signs...  :evil:

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:23 pm »
 As an RV'r, I do try my best to respect property rights. gspike is right about a lot of em don't even get out and get around. I always go where I can fish. I also have cut out one trip this summer due to gas prices. I don't know how many are stopping in Ga., but good luck getting a site in Fl. during the winter. However I also know that a lot are complainers. Even if they only stay three days they will complain about something to try to get a discount. Get all your ducks in a row before it opens.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
Actually right behind  the first four pictures there is a pond, which comes in handy when it gets dry here.
All the bees have to do is go past a row of campers to get to all the water they want.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:18 pm »
Until we had the campground put up a fence which i would highly recommend, without a physicall barrier people don't know there limits. The fence runs right down the property line and my beehives are about 30 feet from the fence right were all the campers are. This is my first year having bees here and it seems to be going good most of the people start looking over the fence at me in my beekeeping suite and start to wonder if there is something that they should be worried about over here, so i invite them to jump over the fence and i teach them all about beekeeping and honey bees and they are very interested, this particular guy said that the bees had been earlier cleaning up some sunny D that got split.

I have to laugh, you have the campground put up a fence then invite the folks to jump over, lol!

Of course, I understand, it's different folks who don't know their boundaries and who get invited over, but it just sounds funny.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »
Ya, this guy was really concerened he thought hasmac suites and right away he thought chemicals, so instead of hollering over the fence him and his kid came over and learned a lesson in beekeeping.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »
The development on the hill behind my house put up a fence on one side of my property.  I'm working at getting them to split the cost of a fence across the back since they have property on 2 sides of me.   Agreeing to share cost of a fence should expediate the developers willingness to put up the fence.  With so manyh neighbors that close a fence and signage is really necessary if you want to protect your interests legally.  Having the bees registered with the state (if they aren't already) also determines prior use.  A very important point if there is ever complaints.

Hopefully the neighbors will understand about the bees, those in the new development behind me look at my place as a kind of zoo.  They bring their kids down to feed grass to the goats and I often take them on tours to see the pigeons, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, and point out the hives.  Most notice that the bees are far enough from property lines to not be a major concern, they also know who to call if they ever do have bee problems.

A little PR work before the fact goes a long way.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:55 am »
Brian, you sound like a guy that used to live up the road from me in Kirkland... ever live there?

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
No, don't tell the developer.  Neither they or the owner are going to change their plans just because the neighbor has boxes of bees.  It's a financial decision that has been made.  If they have finished the environmental impact and have it permitted and financed it's going to happen.

And the idea that whoever was there first has the most rights is is just plain naive.  It's who has the most $ and political muscle.  Do you know why my county has an ordinance against beekeeping?  A beekeeper who had hives for years was adjacent to land that later became a Mercedes dealership.  They couldn't figure out why their brand new cars were getting all these spots all over them and found out about the bees next door.  They (or somebody) got an ordinance passed and the beekeeper had to get rid of the hives. 

Heck, it isn't like RVers are going to be permanent neighbors.  They park for a while and do their thing and think, "Man we're really in nature.  Just look at all the wildlife.  Isn't RVing great!"  And then they're off.  Fence the hives to keep them out of sight, put up some bad dog signs and forget about it.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 09:57:28 pm »
 You can tell tlynn lives in Florida.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »
He's right about the $ bit though... though it's not about how much $ they have, it's about how much $ they pay in taxes.  For the govt... it's usually all about the revenue.  But I wouldn't think an RV park would really bring in that much though... it's not really like a mercedes dealership... and whatever they do bring in, may be offset by the negative impact to surrounding property values.

It apparantly already is too late to get the developer to change their plans, considering that RV's are already parked there... originally he made it sound like they were planning to put one in there in the future... not that they already had it done... and apparantly a fence is already in place... so at this point, it doesn't seem to matter much... so I agree with just putting up signs... but I like the biohazard and radioactive hazard signs better than vicious dog signs... I would plaster biohazard/radioactivity signs all over... that may be kinda mean since it would almost surely drive the RV park owner to financial ruin as his tenants all leave... but at least then he wouldn't have an RV park butted up against his property. 

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 01:37:07 am »
Quote from:  link=topic=17442.msg128352#msg128352 date=1220065109
He's right about the $ bit though... though it's not about how much $ they have, it's about how much $ they pay in taxes.  For the govt... it's usually all about the revenue.  But I wouldn't think an RV park would really bring in that much though... it's not really like a mercedes dealership... and whatever they do bring in, may be offset by the negative impact to surrounding property values.

It apparently already is too late to get the developer to change their plans, considering that RV's are already parked there... originally he made it sound like they were planning to put one in there in the future... not that they already had it done... and apparently a fence is already in place... so at this point, it doesn't seem to matter much... so I agree with just putting up signs... but I like the biohazard and radioactive hazard signs better than vicious dog signs... I would plaster biohazard/radioactivity signs all over... that may be kinda mean since it would almost surely drive the RV park owner to financial ruin as his tenants all leave... but at least then he wouldn't have an RV park butted up against his property. 
     Bill W and JORDAN M are two different post -Go back to the beginning then it should make more sense -myself i am curious as to how long the bees have been there - i hope long enough for the legal standing of GRANDFATHERING to come into play RDY-B

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 03:25:45 am »
Ohhh... HA!  Good catch. 

So yeah, Bill should inform the developer asap then.

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:57 am »
Just a heads up - if the area is already saturated, and if it's an area that experiences any kind of dearth, you need to be ready to handle complaints about bees on peoples' soda cans, bees after the garbage cans, and in their dogs' water dishes.  These locations will all be visited with varying frequency.

I hate to sound like a party-pooper, but your enjoyment of beekeeping at this location may lessen.  Try to keep the situation going in a positive direction, but be ready with a backup plan.

I mention the soda can because it's worth noting.  I had a party here at my place a few weeks back, and we were in the middle of a dearth.   Bees drinking from the lips of soda cans didn't phase the president or vice-president of our local beekeeping organization, who were among those attending, but it did make me think - what if *somebody* didn't look first, or got one in a can.  You and your family may be cognizant of the risk, and always prepared for it, but the folks at this RV park might not be as educated as you are.  You might want to check and see how well covered you are with insurance...

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »
I'd line up all the hives I could borrow facing the fence while they are building it.  They might get the message.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything