Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comb honey next year!  (Read 10512 times)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Comb honey next year!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:00 pm »
Oh ya, I'm loosing my mind.  Last year I did make one box of Bee O Pac System comb honey.  I still have 3 of the little packs to show people what comb looks like.   It was hard to get the bees to make comb honey.   I was afraid to force them or crowd them into the box.   They are cool to look at, just did not sell.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:40:23 am »
I use this for Cut Comb Honey Mann Lake 2010 catalog pg.24

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/infopage.asp?idPage=24

I use all 6 5/8"  10 frame  supers the big comb cutter as on pg 45 cat no.HD-177
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 07:29:20 am »
Thanks Jim and everyone!  You are all big helps.  The Mann Lake catalog looks just like it!  Now let me count my honey bee change jar up and order some!  Thank you all so much for the help!  Country :) :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 08:01:48 am »
I use this for Cut Comb Honey Mann Lake 2010 catalog pg.24

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/infopage.asp?idPage=24

I use all 6 5/8"  10 frame  supers the big comb cutter as on pg 45 cat no.HD-177

For Trays for comb honey and cutters you can go to Kelley

Walter T. Kelley Co 2010 catalog on pg 99

http://kelleybees.com/Files/Organization3/Catalog/catalog.pdf

6 5/8" medium supers cutter cat 219-C tray cat 216
 5 3/4" shallow supers cutter cat  210-RVS tray cat 216-RV Tray

I use ALL 6 5/8" mediums for brood and  honey supers I use 3 for brood in MA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:20:35 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 06:25:29 pm »
Thank you all for the help! Country :)

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »
I just cut up the foundationless frames for chunk or cut comb.  I put a couple in each super between ones with foundation to help keep them straight.  Queens decided they liked the foundationless comb and moved up into several and raised a few children which messed it up for comb.

I hadn't had much interest until this year.  A gentleman stopped by my house yesterday looking for some so I pulled out one of my nicer foundationless frames and he took the whole thing cut into big chunks.  After some thought though I think I let him have it too cheap ($4 per pound) but he did take over 10 pounds worth and he provided his own containers plus bought a couple of quarts.  What are people getting for comb honey?

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »
The boxes that hold the 4x4 squares of comb honey are selling for between $10.00-$12.00 around here and the next state over ( I checked out some honey stands when I was in New Hampshire), those way less than a pound, though I am not sure exactly how much.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:14 pm »
I get $12.00 for a 4"X4'' squares of cut comb honey you can 4 cuts from 1 frame I use all medium frames. hopes this help you.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 08:53:43 pm »
Wow! That is a lot of money! Thank you all, Country :)

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »
how about this one--if i can get it to load--maybe not--i just have to wait and see

http://img838.imageshack.us/i/catano2.pdf/
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »
cool :mrgreen: it worked--ill be trying these next year--i can send plans if any one wants them
later

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 01:43:16 am »
Hey superdave that looks like fun to try, Have you got a source for the jars yet?

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:26 am »
Super Dave, do you have a direct link to that PDF? How have sales gone w/ that type of comb honey? Looks like innovative way to pre package & market but inevitably might have to scrape off wax on some bottles.

Cheers, David S
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:26 am »
i think next spring im going to give this a try ---i'll  build the parts this winter and get the jars from big lots discount store--
Apis_M_Rescue i can send you an email of the pdf if you want it --send an email to my secondary email account and lable it as "pdf for bees"
and if any one else wnats it you can do the same
email
claybiking@yahoo.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 02:11:33 pm »
I tried something like that last year. They filled the jars just great but there was a lot of foreign stuff in there too...bee legs and hive beetles etc.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »
hmm thats not good -- i might have to re think the whole thing--what if you put the wax at the bottom of the jar-which would end up being the top while in the hive ,things like that might fall out,do you think?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 03:21:58 pm »
I really couldn't say. What I did was just to experiment. I drilled 4 holes in an inner cover type board and fitted quart canning jars in them. I set it on a hive in an empty box and then the lid. It was during the goldenrod flow and they filled the jars in about two weeks.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »
i'll experiment and get back to you in a year--haha
thanks for the info

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 06:26:52 pm »
I thought you had to freeze the comb honey overnight to kill the wax moths, glass breaks, right?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:07 pm »
I froze a mason jar with bees in it once, and it did not break, but with honey in it?  Don't forget about killing beetle eggs also with the moths.

anything