Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Inspection of 2012  (Read 4014 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
First Inspection of 2012
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:22 pm »
It was above 60 F today and very little wind and only "partly" cloudy and I just couldn't stand it so I had to check out my colonies.  Since I started after 3PM I only got a look at four of them.  Nice to see they're all alive, saw all the queens and brood.  One hive already had some capped brood.  Remaining stores were at varying levels, but right now they all seem to be in decent enough shape except for one hive where the population seemed to be alarmingly low.  The queen was laying, there were stores left and the bees were in contact with the stores but the cluster seemed quite small.

It sure was fun getting my head back into the hives...looking forward to all the fun and frolic of beekeeping in 2012.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: First Inspection of 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:44 am »
yeah bix, im gonna go through some hives tomorrow if its not raining.time to hang up the gun and load up the smoker :-D
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »
Bix, I am SOOOOO jealous! 

We're still several weeks out up here (unless a miracle happens).  The best I will get is maybe Sunday.  It might be warm enough that I can crack the lid enough to check sugar stores, that it.

Glad the ones you checked seemed to be doing okay!  Hopefully the smaller cluster will start raising it's numbers.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:15:38 am »
Bix, I am SOOOOO jealous! 

Well Alicia...looks like your jealousy has paid off.  The snow is coming down!  The weatherman doesn't know whether we're going to get 8 or 18 inches of the white stuff...for real!  Stay tuned!

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:10:08 am »
At what temperature is it safe for a quick feeding?
We are in a different climate zone than those who have already posted to this one. Next week the weather forecast is going up to +4 Celcius (39 F). We are concerned that our bees may need to be fed and are waiting for the first opportunity to slip some in (but not willing to risk killing them)
What temperature should we be waiting to experience before opening the hives?

We have 2 feet of snow on the ground and it often goes down to -18 at this time of year at night and typically up to -8 during the days, so an expected high of +4 is warm for us!
 Usually 6 more weeks of winter at this point.....I'll have to check with our local groundhog!

Oh Canada!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:05 am »
I would think a 39f day would be fine to open up and feed if they need it. I would not do a hive teardown.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,36001.0.html

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:54:16 am »
Bix, I just saw that weather report and thought of you and your bees!  At least you were able to take advantage of the window you had and get a "fix"!  I'm sure, too, it makes you feel better to know they're holding up okay.  We're still cleaning up broken trees up here -- don't wish that mess on anyone!  I hope the snow comes, paints a pretty picture, then leaves quickly for you!

Algonam, sounds like it's still pretty cold where you are!  Are your hives so light that you need to risk opening them?  If so, I'd wait for the sunniest, warmest day without any wind, then use someone to help me.  You could probably get the lid off, put in a newspaper sheet with some sugar on it (or patty or whatever), and the lid back on, in record time with two people.  But I would not risk it in your temperature range unless I was really worried that there was nothing in there (meaning the hive was really, really light). 

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Feeding
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »
With a few warm days and bees flying, but no forage I went ahead with feeding starting a week ago.  This is several weeks ahead of normal schedule around here.  They have been sucking the syrup down, even on days with the highs well below flying temperature.  This morning was refill time and 35 degrees.  The bees did not like me removing the jar feeders from the top of the cover even for a moment.  A small squadron came out to run me off, and quickly went into numb dormancy after flying just a short time.  I am hoping they will feel better with a little afternoon sun and crawl back into the hive.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:55:22 pm »
...about 12" at noon, still snowing, supposed to stop around 5AM Saturday morning.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »
Things are blooming very early here. Red maples are all but done already and swamp willow just started. At this rate citrus won't be far off...almost a full month early. I sure hope it bodes well for our flows :shock:

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »
Bix, what's the extended forecast for you?  I this stuff gonna melt?  Or is it going to linger for awhile?  12" already is amazing!  It would stop Western Washington in it's tracks to get it that fast!

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »
Next weekend, supposed to be 57 degrees and sunny. :)  Maybe do another inspection or two at the outyard. :)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 05:05:22 pm »

Final Tally

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »
Oh, boy...what's your box configuration on those hives?

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:38 pm »
Two deeps. :)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:08 pm »
Wow.  I like the little white hats on your hives.

Lone

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 09:04:02 am »

Final Tally

Ummm,looks like you went overboard with the sugar! :shock: :shock: :-D :-D

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 10:57:21 am »

Final Tally

:lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

Final Tally

Hey, here in CO we take our sugar dusting seriously!!! :-D