Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need emotional support now!!  (Read 9779 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I need emotional support now!!
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:15:34 am »
Hello friends,

Today I found out that I have to undergo carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist (I am a righty). I wanted to put it off until the winter, but the Dr. said I may develop nerve damage if I haven't already, and waiting would make things worse for me. Surgery date is Feb 27.

The problem is I will not be able to lift anything heavy for some time after. Probably the first month I will not be able to lift any supers. I am totally freaked out right now, because with bee season coming up soon, I am worried about not being able to manage the hives properly.

Anyone experience this sort of surgery??? What is the recuperation like???
I am not afraid at all about the surgery, just worried about the bees.

I am going to hussle now and start the powdered sugar dusting and next warm day will check the honey stores. If we have a really warm day before my surgery, then I will check the brood supers and see what I need to do.

How long can the bees go on their own. I am sure I will be able to check the top super for stores.
My husband said he would help me to lift the supers, but I know him and it is not his cup of tea. I don't think I can depend on him, although I may have to.

Thanks
Just upset right now.
Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I need emotional support now!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:29:22 am »
cup of tea or not, he'll just have to suck it up and help.  make sure he has a good jacket  :-).  i got my husband the one from mann lake and it was under 50 dollars.

i have a friend who was also told she needed the surgery.  she got a 2nd opinion and the 2nd doc had her try some other things.  the problem is not gone, but better.  she has avoided the surgery.  you have had a second opinion by someone who is not a surgeon?

i am not much of a cheer leader.  best i can do is....THINK HOW STRONG YOUR LEFT ARM WILL BE!!   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:39:39 am »
You tell your husband that if he doesn't help you, we will have no choice but to open a can of, you know on him! Definitely get another opinion or two. I have heard at times that a non surgical procedure can work in some cases, try and seek out that alternative if you can. Best of luck and hell yeah, you got our support!!!! Best of luck Annette,

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:03:04 am »
Hey Annette ,  I've known several people who have had that surgery and say they are glad they did so .  You may have to find someone else who is more enthusiastic to help you .  An unwilling volunteer is really not a volunteer at all .  There has to be someone who would appreciate the experience and opportunity to learn.  But now , just where to find this willing volunteer  ??
We're all pullin' for you Annette , cause we're all in this thing together . Please keep us posted .
                                               ---Burl---
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:06:10 am »
Please before going for surgery get a second and sometimes a third oppinion. Because once they do surgery they can not reverse it and they can make things worse. Please go for a second opinion. PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU> I wish I had gone to even a third opinion before I had my jaw surgery I would be so better off then I am now. And I would have had a dr that did not lie his butt off and do something totally different then I had approved and jacked me up even more.

Angi

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:08:50 am »
Annette , Every time I see you , you're holding that umbrella !   You don't suppose that has anything to do with your condition , do you ?

---Burl--- azsillyascanbee
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:39 am »
About those bees.
I have one hive I didn't look at any at all last year. I think it is my strongest hive. If you check then out a bit before the surgery and make sure they have room, I am sure they will be just fine for a month +.

As others have said. Get second opinion.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 06:42:37 am »
i also suggest a second opinion. But no matter what you decide to do good luck!
i think a month of bee neglect will not be a problem.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:54:51 am »
Annette, I also have carpal tunnel and need surgery on both my hands.  I've put it off now for 2 years and it's getting really bad.  From what I understand the surgery isnt all that bad.  Yes, you'll be out of heavy lifting for a short while but it heals pretty quick and you'll feel much better afterwards.  I have several friends who've had the surgery and they tell me it isnt very bad.  They basically just go in and expand the hole where the carpal nerve runs through so when it gets inflamed it has room to expand.  Right now the "tunnel" is too small and when the nerve gets inflammed it has no room to expand, which is why your hands tingle and like mine fall completely asleep.  Surgery is the only way to correct this, a second opnion will only tell you the same thing (believe me I checked).
As for your bees, a month or two should be okay.  They'll pretty much take care of themselves just fine.
Let me know how it all goes.  I'm going to go get checked out again here soon too.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Nate

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:08:28 am »
My aunt has had the surgery twice and it really didn't change her wrist much.  They still hurt her.

but, since everyone is begging you to get a second opinion.... i suggest seeing a chiropractor.  Having the bones in your wrist realigned can relieve carpal tunnel.  It is caused by the bones in your wrist lowering and pressing against the blood vessels.  A chiropractor can bring the bones back in alignment and reduce the pressure that is restricting blood flow.

Worth a try?  No surgery.  Not that expensive.  No pain. 

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:02 am »
carpal tunnel is NOT bones pressing against blood vessels in the wrist... it is a trapped nerve in the wrist usually brought about by swelling of soft tissue. This can be anywhere in the lower forearm.

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

Sometimes Surgeons use injections to release the pain. I would however seek a second opinion from a chiropractor and see if you can get help that way before having the surgery. My Mum had the surgery twice and it didn't help her.  Check that website out its fairly informative

good luck with what ever you decide to do....

Stephen

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:45 am »
I agree with Kathy.  IMHO You married this person for true support which works both ways until the day either of you die.  Time for him to pay up and help out while you are recovering from surgery.  For sure you would help him out if he had to have surgery.  Regardless the task.....  
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:26 am »
Good luck with the surgery. If you have to, move one frame out of the super at a time rather than move the whole super at once.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:49 am »
Annette, oh, you have had lots of wonderful comments.  Surgery, no matter how you look at it, should you chose to have it, is not a piece of cake.  I had rotator cuff surgery in late October of 2005.  The surgery was done arthroscopically, thank goodness, the tears I had in my shoulder were severe, the surgeon didn't even know how well he could repair them, because of the extent of the tears, he even didn't know he could perform this arthroscopically, it might have had to be open shoulder surgery, thank goodness it was the latter.

You will be just fine.  Your bees will be just fine.  Do what you can before the surgery with the bees.  You will be able to observe the bees any time that you feel like it, you just won't be able to work them for awhile.  BUT....at the same time, you may be surprised at what you can do with the left side of your body.  Don't be freaked out about the bees.  You shouldn't be in the swarming season yet.  (I don't understand your seasons or climate), but I would think that you have some time yet before you have that worry.  That should be the only worry this time of year.  I think I remember you saying that you are pretty sure they have enough food stores.  Check that out too before you get the surgery done too.

Things will be well, keep your chin up, keep smiling, that will help you to heal even faster.  Keeping up a good attitude is one of nature's helpers with healing, and I know that you are a positive and upbeat woman, that shines through, you will heal fast, you will be strengthed by the surgery, if you decide to have it, and you will more than likely be released from the pain of the carpel tunnel syndrome effects.  Positive thinking, positive attitude, and most of all girl, have a most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 10:33:58 am »
Oh Hi Annette,

Carpal tunnel release is very easy & quick...Just follow your MD's directions to the "T"...it'll be hard jus being an "observer of the hive"...but I am sure your bees will be fine under your "care" and maybe your hunny will begin to enjoy the work??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 10:50:45 am »
About the bees, if you are able to time your surgery right before your honey flow, you could put a couple of supers atop each hive and let them fill them. When you are done, you'll have all that honey to look forward to. Of course you gotta watch your temps for drafts, but just an idea, Annette. If you have to be out for a while, I'm sure your husband will help, of course there's always the can of woop... we can open up on him if he's not cooperative!  ;) ;) :-D

Explore laser surgery as an alternative as well.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 03:43:38 pm »
http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=582

Get yourself a pair of these for easy lifting. And consider harvesting late in the year.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:58 pm »
Annette,

Don't sweat the small stuff. Take care of yourself first, your bees will be fine and the Hubby will shine  :-D

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 04:13:46 pm »
Hi Annette,
 What a stressful time for you.  I'm sure the bees will manage whether you can help them or not--and your husband can help too. 

But growing up in a conservative medical family (my father retired at 87 last year from practicing internal medicine and both of my brothers are physicians - one's a gastroenterologist and the other a pulmonologist) I will join the others in encouraging you to talk to someone else before depending on just one opinion about surgery...and that from a surgeon.  You may have already gotten a second opinion before making the surgery decision.  BTW, a second opinion does not mean another opinion from another doc in the same office with the one doing the surgery.

Much needless surgery is done on many parts of people's bodies and it is always a risk.  I find it interesting that my brothers and father all take the conservative route about their own bodies - none of the three of them have ever had surgery for an injury - they work through it in other ways - physical therapy, etc.  And none of them take any medication for anything except my father who takes a baby aspirin every day.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 05:05:30 pm »
Hi Annette

I worked in injury rehabilitation for 9 years and worked with well over a hundred carpal tunnel repairs. 

Whether you decide to get a second opinion or not, I will give you one bit of advice: 

Follow the instructions of your surgeon to the letter.  If he says not to lift anything over half a pound in weight, don't.  If he says not to lift until X-date, don't. If he says to brush your teeth five times a day with a toilet brush while hanging by your toes from the lightshade, do it.

Assuming your surgeon is averagely competent, YOUR OWN ACTIONS after the surgery are the single biggest factor in the quality of your surgical result.

Deciding that you think you can handle just doing one quick hive manipulation before you should can be the difference between you being able to continue beekeeping in two years or not.

Incidentally, in my experience chiropractic treatment can help signficantly in some cases in the very early stages - in releiving pressure within the wrist that can cause nerve inflammation... but once the inflamation has developed and the nerve sheath thickens to protect the nerve, the damage is essentially done and manipulating bones will not alter the physical state of the nerve sheath - that's a surgical job.

anything