Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Value of Hives I Lost and Lost Honey??  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Value of Hives I Lost and Lost Honey??
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:06:36 pm »
As most of you already know, I lost some good string hives to spraying. I need to figure out the total of my losses, for the bees and for the honey that I cannot sell this year because the bees were killed.

What is the value of good strong hives in Illinois?

Also, how should I figure the amount of honey that I lost? Value of honey?

These were very strong hives and I had taken a few supers of honey from some of them already...comb honey.

Brenda

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Re: Value of Hives I Lost and Lost Honey??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:11 pm »
  From what I've seen replacement bees will run somewhere about $120 per package.
  What's your average honey production per established hive?
  What's your annual costs per hive for upkeep?
  What's your labor worth to clean up the mess?
  How much wax, foundation, etc will it take to restore the hives?
  All this times the number of hives lost. 

That's where I would start.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »
I hate that your bees were killed.  I would hate it if an adjoining landowner's operation killed my bee yard.  I am curious, however, how it is that you will seek recompense for your bees being killed due to exposure on another's property.  What can you do to the potato farmer who sprayed his own fields?  Was there overspray onto your land, or were your bees on his fields? 
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:51:53 pm »
You can price the equipment that may be contaminated.  A package is $75 here and would take a year to build up to a full sized hive.  So I'd say the bees for a full sized hive are worth $200 or so considering that three pounds sells for $75.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:27 pm »
Hive, if total loss, is $150-200.
Lost production should be calculated on average hive produce per hive over the last 3 years.  So if you lost 12 hives and your average production per hive is 90 lbs then 12X90 + 1080 lbs at current selling price per pound.  To determine average honey production is to divide total honey production poundage by total number of production hives.

The total loss is the cost of the hives plus the lost production.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57:03 am »
I hate that your bees were killed.  I would hate it if an adjoining landowner's operation killed my bee yard.  I am curious, however, how it is that you will seek recompense for your bees being killed due to exposure on another's property.  What can you do to the potato farmer who sprayed his own fields?  Was there overspray onto your land, or were your bees on his fields? 

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,2.0.html this is her other post describing the event.

EDIT:  Brenda, I don't know if they've offered to pay you for the bees and honey- or if you're preparing a bill for them? if all you want is direct compensation -ok but if they try to jack you around I really think you have a case where they may have been WILLFULLY NEGLIGENT. You can punish them for 'forgetting' to notify you as you asked in writing by making them pay a lot more than the actual value of the direct loss. I'm not a lawyer, but you may want to see one.
be happy and make others happy.

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

It is common for the planes to overspray, as well as they ALWAYS fly over my property when doing a turn around. I get a lot of drift from the ends of the rows and when they do not shut down the spray in time. They are supposed to NOTIFY ME when they spray so I can cover up my hives...which they did not. They were notified by LETTER that I would have hives on my property at planting time. The hives are highly visable from air or by a state highway.

Brenda

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:19:58 am »
Thank you all for the great advise. I am going to speak to the farm owner/grower and see what we can come to an agreement on. At least now I have a figure to put down on paper before him where he can see my total losses.

Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31:12 am »
it does not matter that you sent a letter unless you know that they got it.  unless you required a signature for the letter, you did nothing that will stand in court.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.