Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MY First Removal  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
MY First Removal
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:24 pm »
Well after 1 swarm capture and 4 false alarms..... one lady wanted me to catch all of 5 honey bees on her dandy lions with a butterfly net......... got to laugh on that one.  Now I have a bonafied colony in a window sill of a house been vacant for 1 year now not known how long they have been there.  I have been reading ALL of the threads on here and feel rather confidant on having a good time!! I have a knife, nuc. hive body, tarp, ladder, bee suit..im a rookie...., smoker, jig saw, and a laughing wife..... I think that's all I need....  The siding is going to be replaced over the whole house so they don't care if I tear it up just don't break the window!!  They found out about the bees when they saw a wood pecker tapping on their wall.. then they saw the bees looked up on craigslist and called me so I'm off to get my first colony I already have a swarm under my belt well see how this goes any advice would be great but it looks like its all been said in the posts.  Ill send pics when I have got them.... :-D :-\
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: MY First Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:12 pm »
Tell the wife not to laugh too hard, it makes for a shakey video!!

Good luck with it and just be diligent, take your time and be sure you get it all.

Plenty of buckets for honey comb, frames and rubber bands for brood, and a bucket of water for the sticky hands.

Bee vac?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54:42 pm »
Pick a warm, sunny day and give yourself 6 plus hours in your planning. Leave the box there overnight to get all the stragglers. Retrieve the hive the following night at dusk.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:06:54 am »
I would add to bring several buckets. Divide honey fit for harvesting from honeycomb uncured that you can feed back to them.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky