Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fatal Rose & Anise Hyssop  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Fatal Rose & Anise Hyssop
« on: August 02, 2009, 05:22:36 pm »
I've many varieties of roses around my apiary.  Today is the first time I've seen the bees foraging any of them in earnest.

These have a very strong and lovely fragrance.

Looking in closer.

But these roses are inhabited by predators.

White crab spiders have "set up shop" here... and are apparently eating quite well.

I'll upload the Anise Hyssop photos next (late for lunch, lol!)

Cheers,
Dane
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:45:58 pm by Dane Bramage »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Fatal Rose & Anise Hyssop
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »
getting any honey this year?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
getting any honey this year?

Not yet.  I'm 0/2 so far on my typical three seasonal harvests.  Looks as though I will get some August Wildflower... but, sheesh!  Record cold and then record heat (in both temps & duration) = this year has been teh suxor!  There are no apples nor pears on my trees.  :'(

Worst season evarrrrr for me here.  How's yours going?  I'm still hopeful for all the late summer blooms here to kick me some sweetness.  :-\

Some Anise Hyssop macros:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:35:45 pm »
Man Dane!!!
Those are some SUPER good pictures!!!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:07 pm »
it's bad.  i hear the whole WV is like this.  i'll be lucky if i get a jar of honey out of it and i'll have to feed.  if we get some rain this week and the buckwheat perks up, i may get 2 jars!  3rd bad year for me.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:14:54 pm »
Thanks John!  I like the way the anise ones turned out.  :)

it's bad.  i hear the whole WV is like this.  i'll be lucky if i get a jar of honey out of it and i'll have to feed.  if we get some rain this week and the buckwheat perks up, i may get 2 jars!  3rd bad year for me.

Crap!  I'm sorry to hear that Kathy!  I thought some people's season was doing well early this Spring (likely right when I did my splits  :oops:).   Everything surely is cooked to a crisp now though!   The valley looks like Cali. :roll:  I'm so over this heat... gahhhh!!!  Nights in the 50's and daytime highs in the low 80's will seem like an oasis.  I hope we get those rains too... all we need now is some dry lighting eh?   :-X 

Well, I'm still going to wait it out a bit and let them be.  I'm fortunate with the wetlands.  Much of the ground is still soggy, creek is actually running quite high (no idea why.. maybe a beaver downstream?  lol!) and the purple loosestrife, etc., is rocking.  I'm getting some red pollen too, which is new & bizarre (have to track that source down still).   I'm resigned to writing off this season as a "rebuilding year" though.   :-x

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:24:48 pm »
early in the season, they began to store well.  i had high hopes.  the blackberries were awesome and lots of blooming of other stuff.  i was very surprised to fine huge amounts of brood and almost no stores right at the height of the flow.  i have no idea what to make of it all........

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »
Love seeing your pictures Dane!  This is my 1st year and only a couple of hives so I didnt expect to get any honey. Last I checked the girls had a number of capped bars. So things looking well over here.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.