Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: floor without a floor  (Read 2751 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
floor without a floor
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:15:21 pm »
I Was looking at M Bush  Pics of a  "floor without a floor"  and don't quite grasp the point of it????look like a simple removable floor (or top)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: floor without a floor
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:44:06 pm »
It is otherwise known as a "Cloake Board", named after Harry Cloake,  the New Zealander who developed the principle.  It is used for queen rearing.  I explain the process here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/queen-rearing/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »
Ahhh  so its just a simpley to remove devider.     You mention on that page useing teh hive  with the queen trapped below as a finisher  how do you keep the multiple queens from getting to each other,  and yet let the nurse bees have access?   I was thinking you moved tehm to an incubator when they are a day or so from hatching??  (assuming mine will be on a frame and not in a queen cup,  so I don't think I can remove them without damage.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:28:36 pm »
Yes, a finisher just completes and caps the queen cells.   The cells are moved to individual mating nucs before they hatch.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:34:08 am »
Robo has the detail, but the concept is simple.  You can set up a queenless portion of the hive for a cell starter on the top and turn it into a queenright cell finisher by simply pulling out the tray.  The other advantage is you can manipulate having entrances on opposite sides to shift the population of bees around.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything