Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Purvis Queens  (Read 9885 times)

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
Purvis Queens
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »
Just ordered my Queens from Purvis Queens. Due the 1 st of May. I wish it was the 15 th of April. We got snow in Oct and it has not been above 32 since. Tony

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Purvis Queens
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:09 pm »
I am anxious as well, my new packages are do the 21st of April.  I've been bummed because its too cold to work out in the shop, I need to finish painting boxes and what have you.   :(

David

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:45 pm »
I ordered two queens a month ago from Purvis.  I like what I read about their breading strategy.  I read today on their website on how they recommend introducing a new queen.  It got me worried.  I hope that it is not that hard to introduce.  I bought a screen division board to help and also a push in cage.  I am also planning on building a nuc to split with brood and nurse bees for the easiest introduction.  What does everyone think?  I think Purvis is in the process of moving to Tennessee also.  I noticed the (931) area code on some of the paperwork and called them.  Lewisburg I think.  They were in the Blairsville, GA area.  They may be expanding too?

Mark Herndon
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:01:12 pm »
I have been using Purvuis queens for two yrs now. My club buys about 50 very year. They are not hard to introduce. Just place cage in center of brood nest w/ cany plug exposed and roughed up w/ a paperclip(dont stab queen!)
April 15 in NY is too early unless its an emergency. Weather is too inconsistent. Make sure your bees hav enough food, and they will make it til spring. Purvis has exploded w/ their orders recently. I hope there quality keeps up. They are average honey producers but very hardy, gentle and very hygenic. My club is also using some VPQueens too. Only one year into experiment. I like having mutiple genetic sources in my yard in case of supercedure. I also keep ferals. All different traits and colors, but all docile.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »
Here is an earlier post about Purvuis Brothers.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13737.0.html

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:01:28 pm »
well Shawn how did your PBA queens turn out?
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »
Well I am glad to hear that people have had good luck with this line.
I just ordered some nucs for the spring and they are the purvis goldline. I have been thinking of adding two more but wasn't sure.
I also ordered carniolans and another hybrid (from warm colors apiary).
I am debating on the italians because I heard they are more prone to robbing.
I need to order 2 more nucs and I need to do it quick before they sell out so I need to decide on whether to just add more purvis or one of the others, or go for the italians. Skip the italians?
Any thoughts and opinions are most appreciated.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »
TwT, the first I bought I gave away and she is still doing great. She passed up all the other queens in the yard. The other I bought did not have enough of a population by the time I put her in. I posted in the picture section, I think about the drama, and I do mean drama.

Offline tlozo

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:34 pm »
"April 15 in NY is too early unless its an emergency. Weather is too inconsistent"

Why would April 15 be too early? Won't the bees keep the queen warm in the cage until release?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:12 am »
Dan and his wife were @ a bee club meeting here in 9-08. He was a very helpful and likeable guy. I got three queens from him then. I made splits late and gave them each a PBA. One I lost to hive bettle, the split was doomed from start. The other two have wintered in nucs, Have not been able to evaluate them yet.

Dan was relocating to just outside of Nashville TN. for, what I think he stated as, personal reasons.

I plan to do more business with him!!!
John 3:16

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:05:57 pm »
"April 15 in NY is too early unless its an emergency. Weather is too inconsistent"

Why would April 15 be too early? Won't the bees keep the queen warm in the cage until release?

It doesn't concern the health or warmth of the queen, rather it concerns the ability of the hive to have consistant forage.  In April the weather is still somewhat erractic which can means they can't forage for days at a time.  This disrupts the queens egg laying or it can place the hive into a starvation situation when all of the resources are committed to brood rearing and a week or two of bad weather preventing foraging kills the hive. 
If you're going to requeen in April you'll need to feed for at least 2 weeks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tlozo

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:27:38 pm »
"If you're going to requeen in April you'll need to feed for at least 2 weeks"

I understand that sometimes acceptance of the queen is better if you feed but I don't understand why else you would need to feed just because your requeening. If the hive doesn't have enough stores in the spring you have to feed it no matter what. How does it change the situation because you have a new queen in the hive? :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:51 am »
"If you're going to requeen in April you'll need to feed for at least 2 weeks"

I understand that sometimes acceptance of the queen is better if you feed but I don't understand why else you would need to feed just because your requeening. If the hive doesn't have enough stores in the spring you have to feed it no matter what. How does it change the situation because you have a new queen in the hive? :)

Reread my post again, I've highlighted the pertinent part.

It doesn't concern the health or warmth of the queen, rather it concerns the ability of the hive to have consistant forage.  In April the weather is still somewhat erractic which can means they can't forage for days at a time.  This disrupts the queens egg laying or it can place the hive into a starvation situation when all of the resources are committed to brood rearing and a week or two of bad weather preventing foraging kills the hive. 
If you're going to requeen in April you'll need to feed for at least 2 weeks.

In many places an established hive is fending for itself in April after a feed boost in February and/or March, so introducing a queen is more like introducing a package to drawn comb.  You'll still need to feed if you want any production out of the hive that year.  The queen is going to swing into full brood mode and the available resources might not keep up with the demand.  The there's the weather component.
I've seen just as many hives die of starvation in the spring as I have during the winter, if not more, in fact, IMO, spring is a more dangerous time for starvation that January and -0 temps. 
Of course you can always buy another queen and split another hive if that one goes kaput, but it's much better to play it safe and protect your investment.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:52:49 pm »
good info but lets stay on the post topic or start another thread please!

mudlake, you ask Dann and he will give you the best intro he knows for his bee's!!! you got the number just give him a call, he will be glad to help..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:20 pm »
I did contact him and and I have Queens coming the first of May. Come on spring.. Tony

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 01:58:30 pm »
Just FYI,

I contacted Purvis Bros. to get some queens and they were booked till June 1st.  They did say, however, that Walter T. Kelley is a distributor for them.  I contacted them and they have availibility as early as the 2nd week of april, so my queens are coming then.  Also, their shipping is MUCH cheaper than going thru Pruvis directly!  Just a tidbit of info for y'all!

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »
I got back to them and moved my date till June 1-15. We have just had to much winter. My bees flew for the first time since October a couple days ago. Half are weak will not make spring. We still have 3 feet on the ground.  Come on spring.  Tony   

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
Iv'e been keeping a very small hive going by opening top and poring honey directly on top of frames when temps allowed. I have also brought them in when is was really cold.

Offline tlozo

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »
I got back to them and moved my date till June 1-15. We have just had to much winter.

How far upstate are you? I'm in the Catskill region and you want to have the bees when the daffodils start flowering. For me thats in March and to get the number of bees up I will start feeding sugar syrup and pollen patties before that. The bees need time to build up their numbers to take advantage of the spring flow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:05:13 pm by tlozo »

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »
Our winter here is going to last forever I think. Last year our cherry trees had blossoms April 22 no leaves just blossoms. They were 2 weeks ahead of everything else. We got 3 feet of snow yesterday. Nice today more snow tommorow. Nice later in the week. We have not had any weather above 40 degrees since Oct. I can't wait for spring  Tony