Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If it fits it ships...lol  (Read 2828 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
If it fits it ships...lol
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »
I got my yellow clover seed in that I purchased from Camp9.  He's an easy feller to do business with for sure.  The funny thing was, the promotion that USPS is doing right now, 'If it fits, it ships' Camp9 took advantage of.  Apparently you CAN stuff 22 pounds of yellow clover seed in one tiny, little box. The postman was one ticked individual. He couldnt stuff it in my mailbox so the old codger (have had several problems with him in the past) pulled into the driveway and met my wife and Scooby the killer weinee dog.  He first tried to make my wife walk out in the rain to get the package, but she explained to him that she had just  got out of gall bladder surgery and couldnt hardly walk much less carry the package. So, he reluctantly got out of his jeep only to have Scooby put him back in. (Scooby doesnt like any gruff sounding people and is extremely protective of his family) Long story short, he left grumbling about should have shipped it UPS, but I got my sweet yellow clover seed. Thanks Camp9! I'll let you know how well Michigan seed germinates in Tennessee soil.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: If it fits it ships...lol
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »
I have to tell you, the best honey I ever had was from sweet yellow clover. You're going to just love this honey!

How large of an area are you planting?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »
I think the seeding rate is around 8 lbs per acre. So next month Im going to plow up around 2-3 acres to put it on.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »
is the yellow clover what we use to call as kids "sour grass"????

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:37:13 pm »
is the yellow clover what we use to call as kids "sour grass"????

Not sure. All I know it's called is sweet yellow clover and that it is hard as heck to to find in Tennessee.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
>is the yellow clover what we use to call as kids "sour grass

Probably.  We used to eat it when I was a kid and it was sour.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
VolunteerK9 you may want to reconsider your planting, if you read info from ag extentions. The clover will take some time to get well enough established to produce a good bloom crop. I was excited about planting a field of it for the girls myself, but after reading our local growing info. have decided to wait until spring. Your area may be different. You may want to read up on it. Just a word of caution so you do not waste money on expensive fertilizer and seed and not get the results you are looking for.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:35:36 pm »
 :-D sounds like our old UPS guy got him a job at the USPS down your way. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:15:25 am »
VolunteerK9 you may want to reconsider your planting, if you read info from ag extentions. The clover will take some time to get well enough established to produce a good bloom crop. I was excited about planting a field of it for the girls myself, but after reading our local growing info. have decided to wait until spring. Your area may be different. You may want to read up on it. Just a word of caution so you do not waste money on expensive fertilizer and seed and not get the results you are looking for.

Thanks for the warning, but here in the south, we can get by with fall seedings fairly well. The only thing that concerns me is that since it was so hard to find here, make me believe that it was for a reason.  (Like it performs poorly here or something) I traveled to Lancaster, PA a few years ago and was amazed at the huge spreads of alfalfa growing, and it next to impossible to get it established here where I live. Hope its not the same for the yellow clover.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »
It blooms in the spring and summer and will set seed the second season. The clover should grow when planting in the fall but to get two good seasons out of it (since it is a biennial) it would be to late for the first season. After it sets seed it will be more of a weed and not very productive.