Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Supercedure Cell Strategy  (Read 2412 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Supercedure Cell Strategy
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »
I caught a swarm about a month ago. As of today, they have covered close to 6 medium frames. Not a huge swarm, but they are growing.

I noticed two queen cells (capped) today. While both are closer to the bottom of one frame, I still suspect they are supercedure cells, and not swarm cells, due largely to the size of the colony but also to the number of cells.

I am torn between just letting them replace their queen, who appears to be a good layer, cutting out the cells, and making a split.

I know Michael Palmer just allows supercedures to take place. It's a part of nature, and usually the bees know more than you do about what is going on.

Just wondering what other's strategy is when they come across a supercedure cell. Let it happen, split, or cull the cell? Of course, assuming you believe the queen is functioning well.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Supercedure Cell Strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:15:49 pm »
I plan on using mine for splits.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »
the bees know what they are doing.. now if I have a swarm or colony with no queen, I will transfer that frame to them or combine them with another colony that needs bees.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:10 pm »
well with a swarm they usually leave with the old queen and replace her once they are safe and secure.  So maybe they are replacing the "old mother" for a daughter.  just my 2 cents.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »
I'd leave them alone.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:23 pm »
They are going to get rid of the old queen. You can leave the cells, or make the hive queenless, your choice.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »
If it were mine i would remove the old queen and put in a nuc with a couple frames of brood from hives other than the parent hive and a frame of drawn comb for her to lay in and a frame each of pollen and honey and let the other hive work it out with the new emerging queens.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
That's what I was considering Sparky, but I am slightly concerned about the down time inbetween queens. Sometimes with a supercedure situation, the new queen will mate while the old queen is still present and laying, right? That way, the hive wouldn't have a downtime in laying, and wouldn't dwindle in size, since it takes up to three weeks for a queen to hatch, mate, and get to full egg laying status.

Since it's a new swarm (that wasn't on the huge side to start with) size is of vital importance at this stage. But, I guess if numbers get real small I could just add a frame of capped brood from the other hive I just caught :D.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »
Are you sure she is still laying ? Make sure you see newer eggs because they might have the wheels in motion for a swarm with the old queen.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:52 pm »
I still see new eggs. Upright, not close to lying down. Laid anywhere from 1 to 24 hours ago.