Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Washing new Honey Bears, Jars, etc  (Read 6597 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Washing new Honey Bears, Jars, etc
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »
Am I supposed to wash my new jars/honey bears before I bottle them? Can they be placed in a dishwasher or will the heating element melt them?

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Washing new Honey Bears, Jars, etc
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »
I do not wash them but others may disagree.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:36:49 pm »
If you put them in the dishwasher you can always turn off the dry cycle.  I always wash anything that that you really don't know what kind of people work in the places that produce that stuff so it's always best to double down instead of being sorry.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »
i rinse the new honey bears with hot water, and wash the glass jars.  i found that if i wash the bears the little black eyes fade out  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »
how do you guys dry them? just put them upside down or ?....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »
I do not wash the plastic.    I do wash the glass.   I run them through the dishwasher just like when we are canning. 

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:09 pm »
One reason I run them through the dishwasher (glass) is to rinse out any dust particles (plenty inside the cardboard boxes).

Less dust, less little particles for honey to start crystallizing on.

I don't use soap.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:29:02 pm »
with some of these new plastic jars they dont want you running them in the dishwasher because they will melt...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »
I contacted the manufacturer of the mason jars I use years ago and was told that they are sterile when shipped (with lids on) so I don't bother washing. Lately I've been buying from a cheaper source and the lids come in a separate package so I wash.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
Buy from Sailor Plastics. They send a letter with your order stating that the jars are sterile as received, no washing necessary. Our health department accepts the letter, yours may not. We continue to wash jars and bears from other sources, although they're probably never touched by human hands until you get them.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:20 pm »
cool I just got my samples from sailor and was planning on ordering from them , taht helps a lot

Thanks

anything