Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question and an observation  (Read 2117 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
A question and an observation
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:37 pm »
First, the observation. The weather here in SE Tennessee is hopefully headed towards Spring. I noticed that the bees were bringing in some very dark, orange colored pollen. Not alot, but at least some fresh food was making its way into the hive.

Second, I plan on making up a small number of nucs this year and want to buy some queens to add to my already diverse gene pool. I noticed Kelley is offering several different types and basically I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. Minnesota Hygienic or VSH.  Which would be the better of the two? My goal is to run all my hives as close to chemical free as I can get without huge hive losses and Im thinking that one of the two hygienic lines would add some genetics that I am looking for.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: A question and an observation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:48:14 pm »
It must be warmer in your part of TN then it is in my neck of the woods. My bees flew around for a little while yesterday but didn't stay out long and I didn't see any pollen. That dark orange might be the remnants of an old football uniform somebody through out after the last two seasons. :devilbanana:

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:12:58 pm »
Can you get more specific with your SE Tn?  That's a big place.  I have a contact here in Rome for hygenic queens if you need it.  Don't know how close you are to us, but if it's SSE Tn. then it would only be about an hour for you to drive and pick up.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:47 pm »
Purvis Brothers is now in Leoma, Tennesse.    931-852-3033

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:02:37 am »
It must be warmer in your part of TN then it is in my neck of the woods. My bees flew around for a little while yesterday but didn't stay out long and I didn't see any pollen. That dark orange might be the remnants of an old football uniform somebody through out after the last two seasons. :devilbanana:

Yeah, Ive never been a fan of UT football but I think they will have a pretty good year next season. I'm a Spurrier Gamecock fan .

Can you get more specific with your SE Tn?  That's a big place.  I have a contact here in Rome for hygenic queens if you need it.  Don't know how close you are to us, but if it's SSE Tn. then it would only be about an hour for you to drive and pick up.

I live in Polk County, 3 miles north of the GA/TN line.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:45:45 am »
Sometimes when you mix a bunch of pure bred bees you get a bunch of "hot" bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything