Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Home made mating nuc - question about ventilation  (Read 6506 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Home made mating nuc - question about ventilation
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »
I built this prototype patterned after some EWK hives that I saw in some European videos. I haven't been able to find much detail about the EWK hives so I've just gone by what I can see, and guessed about the rest:

I like the idea of the clear sides so that progress can be monitored without too much intrusion on the hive, and in the videos that I have seen they stock these with only about a cup full of nurse bees.  Also I think it would be cool to take one to school for show and tell. 

The regular EWK hives only use a top bar I think, but I've made some frames that are 1/2 size of a regular medium so that when I'm finished with the mating nucs the comb can still be used (by unscrewing the top bar and screwing 2 onto a standard bar) instead of just discarded or melted. Might be more trouble than it's worth, but I hate to waste good comb and brood.

There is an 1 1/2 space above the frame for feeding candy - more or less like the EWK hives.

BTW, these have to be kept inside of an insulated outer enclosure to keep them from getting too hot - I think I can come up with a scheme to keep 4 in 1.

Anyway, as far as I can tell the EWK hives only ventilation is via the very small entrance.  Does anyone have any experience with single frame mating hives like this?  I'm wondering if I shouldn't make a provision for more ventilation - It might get hotter in Tennessee than it does in Austria.  I don't know.

This is only a prototype, and I can already see a couple of things that I need to change.  I plan to try a few of them, and see if I like them.  If I do I will make enough to raise a batch of queens - at least that is the plan.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Re: Home made mating nuc - question about ventilation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:49:43 am »
Very neat. :)
How do the girls get in/out? :evil:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:55:01 am »
For abour 400 years Naturlists have marveled how small an entrance the bees can use to ventilate and manage a hive.  A small nuc can have one that is pretty much so small that only one bee at a time can get through...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:12:06 pm »
Very neat. :)
How do the girls get in/out? :evil:

The aluminum disc that you can see on the right has a 1/2" hole in it, and can also rotate to some small holes that will just let in air.

As far as getting them in there to begin with the plastic comes off with 2 screws.   
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:14:17 pm »
For abour 400 years Naturlists have marveled how small an entrance the bees can use to ventilate and manage a hive.  a small nuc can have one that is pretty much so small that only one bee at a time can get through...

Thanks, that's what I needed.

anything