Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ITS DONE!  (Read 2295 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
ITS DONE!
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »
Last night I received a call from a local pollinator and he sold me a complete hive w/ bees. They are safely placed in my yard last night and all seems to be well so far. Obviously a few questions.

Since it an established hive, there is presently no feeder. Should i feed?

How long should i leave them alone. One large deep is 80% full w/ brood and stored food. Do I add another chamber now, or let them rest a few days?

Just how much shade should I provide? My property affords almost any amount of sunshine depending on pklacement.

Do I automatically replace queen this fall as age of queeen is unknown?

I frankly had resigned myself to waiting until next year, but this just fell into my lap as it were. I could have had as many hives as I wanted, but wanted to go slowly as I started quickly( hope you understood that one!)
Just couldn't beleive how smoothly the whole process went. I have an SUV, and I drove home w/ the windows rolled up and no problems.
Thanx in advance.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: ITS DONE!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:10:24 pm »
Quote from: KONASDAD
Last night I received a call from a local pollinator and he sold me a complete hive w/ bees. They are safely placed in my yard last night and all seems to be well so far. Obviously a few questions.

Maybe the first week. They will stop feeding from the jar if there is plenty of nectar and pollen.

How long should i leave them alone. One large deep is 80% full w/ brood and stored food. Do I add another chamber now, or let them rest a few days?

Give them a week

Just how much shade should I provide? My property affords almost any amount of sunshine depending on pklacement.

A south facing, you are in NJ yu don't need to worry to much about shade. You need to worry about winter when it gets close.

Do I automatically replace queen this fall as age of queeen is unknown?

I would say if the queen is in good health and making good workers leave her alone. Others replace theirs every year. The choice is up to you.

I frankly had resigned myself to waiting until next year, but this just fell into my lap as it were. I could have had as many hives as I wanted, but wanted to go slowly as I started quickly( hope you understood that one!)
Just couldn't beleive how smoothly the whole process went. I have an SUV, and I drove home w/ the windows rolled up and no problems.
Thanx in advance.

Walk, don't run.
Send all free extra hives to Brendhan Horne. ;)

Seriously, if you could get two hives and place them next to each other. One hive to back up the other.

Remember how smoothly this went appreciate it, enjoy it, and revel in it. One time it is not going to go so smoothly and you will have to remember how many times it has gone well.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: ITS DONE!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 03:05:09 pm »

Is there any honey stores in the hive? If so I doubt they need food.

I have my bees out in the open sunshine all day. I've heard it makes for a healthier hive.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
ITS DONE!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:57:24 pm »
It was not free!! I paid $70 for a deep w/ bees/frames, bottom board, top brd, and telescoping top. The hive was only started by the pollinator in january in Fla, so it was relatively clean and a healthy bunch of bees. Thanx for info too!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
ITS DONE!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:05:27 pm »
That's not a bad deal.  A package shipped, with postage, costs that much.  Who is it has these hives?  Harvey?

-- Kris

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
ITS DONE!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:52:22 am »
>Since it an established hive, there is presently no feeder. Should i feed?

Unless there is a dearth, why?

>How long should i leave them alone. One large deep is 80% full w/ brood and stored food. Do I add another chamber now, or let them rest a few days?

I'd add it soon.  Adding a box isn't a big disruption.  Just pop the top and put it on.

>Just how much shade should I provide?

Idealy?  None.  Mine have always done the best in full sun.

>Do I automatically replace queen this fall as age of queeen is unknown?

I wouldn't.  If she's doing well leave her.  If not, replace her.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything