Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Activity at swarm trap.  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Activity at swarm trap.
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:27 pm »
I have so many bees in my yard on my flowers this spring, I decided to put a couple swarm traps on my deck.  The house is 34 feet wide where the deck is and I put a deep with comb at each end.  The one facing west has dozens of bees coming and going.  I know it is not robbing as they are exibiting orientation behaviour.  At least that is what I believe it to be.  It is the first sunny day after a rainy week and I expect swarming to pop.  Been a lot of swarms I hear about, but have recieved no calls myself.  The bait box on the east end of that deck faces north and I have not seen a single scout check it out.  Great fun watching the scouts at any rate.

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Re: Activity at swarm trap.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:11:59 am »
Hopefully you will soon have some free bees!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Activity at swarm trap.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
I now have stero!  The swarm trap I first saw being visited is now a flurry of activity.  I am now seeing behaviour on the landing board I interpret as guarding the entrance.  Against other hive scouts?  A swarm has definately not taken up entrance but I have hives that are not this active on a cool cloudy day like we are having.  The stero is the increasing activity at the other trap on the deck!  This is great fun to watch.   

anything