Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super Size Me  (Read 1751 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Super Size Me
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:36 pm »
I’ve been pondering switching over to ”shallow” supers (5 3/8” frames) from my current “medium” supers (6 ¼” frames).

What do you feel are the pros and cons of using “shallow” supers?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Super Size Me
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »
I run most all shallows for my honey supers.    They still feel heavy, but work fine.

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:56:51 am »
I have deeps for brood and shallows for supers.  I like the idea of all shallows (in aust we call them ideals), but how many 8 frame shallows do you need for brood at the heightnof the spring buildup if you want to make sure that the queen doesn't get cramped and swarm? I worry that I would need four brood boxes (of shallows), making inspections very tedious.

One guy I know is moving to a jumbo brood box and the rest shallows as a jumbo frame is the same depth as two shallow boxes, so can be moved up among shallows if you are manipulating the brood box.  To me it sounds like it could be very complicated then to move boxes around.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone running all shallows.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:31 am »
When I made the switch from Deeps, mediums and shallows going to ALL Mediums I strongly considered all shallows. 

I've got DDD and OA so lighter is ALWAYS better for me.  It would just mean more boxes to deal with.  With the eventual advancement of my condition I may yet reduce to all shallows.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:20 am »
Having all the same size is a wonderful thing.  I have all eight frame mediums.  I suppose my second choice would be all eight frame shallows...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »
If I were to start over, I would go with all mediums.  I currently have deeps for brood and shallows for honey due to getting GREAT deals on woodenware from dead beekeepers.... Okay, from their families...  Pam's hive is all mediums, as is her granddaughter's, and they'll continue with that as they expand their hives, just so they only has one size to deal with.  (Weight is not a concern, as I do the lifting....LOL)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
I’m with your Grieth, it would be interesting to hear if anybody is using all shallows for a hive.  There’s got to be some point of diminishing returns as the frames get smaller?  Yes?  No?  Then again, some of those mini nuc mating frames are pretty small!

I’m still experimenting to see what I like best.  This summer I switched some of my brood chambers over to a jumbo size and was using 10 frame mediums for honey supers.  Since my brood box doesn’t get moved, its huge weight has not been a problem for me.  However the honey supers are still on the heavy side.  I’ve been experimenting with the old Charles Dadant style hive configuration.  

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:34 pm »
I thought of shallows but decided on using all mediums for my convenience. I have been toying with the idea of selling comb next year but have not started to really look into equipment needed. (my winter reading) I will be glad to read pros and cons on super sizes and comb sizes.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

anything