Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying timber for building Hives in Qld  (Read 8295 times)

Offline PRYORDARNELL

• New Bee
Buying timber for building Hives in Qld
« on: December 25, 2013, 05:38:05 pm »
Hi all
Thanks so much to everyone for your helful advice so far.
I think I am ready to start building some covers, bases and hives.

What timber is best to use and does anyone know where I can buy it?
Also how does it need to be treated?

One thing I am not sure of is the timber thickness. I am assuming around 20mm.
I think i need to buy some medium frames and assemble one before i build anything to make sure i have the box size right.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Re: Buying timber for building Hives in Qld
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:53:20 pm »
I've been looking at Cyprus pine - using flooring to make up planks the right wide and go from there. Won't need treating and works out cheaper than buying pine from the big green shed. Google for a supplier near you but I'll be looking at the Caboolture mill.
David L

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 12:54:27 am »
Commercially built hives made in Australia are mostly made from Hoop Pine, and the Alliance brand which is sold in Australia are made in NZ from NZ Radiata Pine.  The thickness of the timber is between 21-22mm.  The inside measurement of a standard full depth 10 frame box is 463/4mm x 363/4mm.  I can't help with 8 frames as I only use 10 frame FD.
Hope this helps.

Kevin

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:09:01 am »
have a look at nema board a plastic sheet 2400 * 1200 ive made a few boxes from it and its working well bout $165 a sheet but no painting no warping and machines easier than timber it works for me
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 02:23:56 am »
How many 8 frame boxes would you be able to make from a 2400 x 1200 sheet? I'm reckoning about 6, so about $28 a box- would that be right?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:24:10 pm »
Amun-ra,

When are we holding a meeting at your place so we can see your set up?

One question I've asked about native bees but not europeans.. does treated timber affect them?  Maybe that's why I've had trouble sourcing timber here, because I've only looked at untreated.  But I know some people use treated timber for native bee hives.  As Amun-ra knows though, it's too hot and dry here for anything to grow other than rocks, so there are not a lot of local timber mills.  There's a bit of a sandal wood industry out west, but I doubt the bees care to have little smelly ornaments in their homes.  Amun, do you know of any appropriate wooden board of the right thickness round here, in case there is something cheap enough to consider making our own boxes again?  And where do you buy nema board?   

The other issue we have with making our own boxes is that they don't turn out to be much cheaper than buying them, especially in Damian's case where you could drive to bee supply places and don't factor in postage.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 12:58:32 am »
Transport is always the killer - we live 2 hours from Brisbane and cost $50 in petrol for a return trip - I think freight on my last order was $43 - 6 of one /, half a dozen of the other.

Looking at Cypress Pine from Caboolture it is $2.61 per linear meter for 90X21 decking boards in 500lm packs - quick calculation is about $8-9 a full size super -less than half price. Fortunately I am a member of the local Woodworkers Group and have access to industrial size/quality equipment to turn it into boxes.

All stuff to ponder on
David L

Offline PRYORDARNELL

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 01:59:56 am »
I have been having a look around the net for timber and also ready to assemble supers, tops and bottoms. It looks like it might be a small extra expense and a big time saving to buy them in flat pack even though I am a bit of a DIY person. Maybe my next lot i will build myself after I get a better understanding of whats needed. The guys at www burnettbeekeepingsupplies com au look like they will be the best bet for me given proximity and price. It is not too far from me and they appear as competitive as anyone else. I think i will do all my own CN treating though. Has anyone had any experience with these guys or any other suppliers in the Toowoomba region?
Thanks
Damian

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 06:44:33 am »
Damian
The Southern Beekeepers Association, which is a club in your region, buys from Burnett Beekeeping Supplies. If you are just starting out may I suggest you consider joining as there would be a wealth of information available from the members.

Kevin

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 06:24:15 pm »
Lone big river timbers gan get nema for you but a local hardware should as well it has to be ordered in but so far I think its worth the cost as I recon it will outlast me.how are your bees doing any honey?
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:49 pm »
How many 8 frame boxes would you be able to make from a 2400 x 1200 sheet? I'm reckoning about 6, so about $28 a box- would that be right?

if it cost you that much youd be better off buying a flat pack for say $20

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:33 pm »
I have been having a look around the net for timber and also ready to assemble supers, tops and bottoms. It looks like it might be a small extra expense and a big time saving to buy them in flat pack even though I am a bit of a DIY person. Maybe my next lot i will build myself after I get a better understanding of whats needed. The guys at www burnettbeekeepingsupplies com au look like they will be the best bet for me given proximity and price. It is not too far from me and they appear as competitive as anyone else. I think i will do all my own CN treating though. Has anyone had any experience with these guys or any other suppliers in the Toowoomba region?
Thanks
Damian

I know this is an old thread but...

After spending some time and money doing this, I'd have to agree.

However, I would suggest it is still worth doing for those who:

1) Don't mind investing in the equipment needed to build boxes efficiently and accurately.
2) Don't mind spending the time learning how to use the equipment.
3) Want something other than rebate joined boxes (all the commercial ones I've seen are).
4) Are looking to use more than a few boxes.

I'm finding it's not the cutting of the boxes that takes time, it's the assembly and painting. If you
are buying flat pack boxes you still have to do that.

Once you've made the investment in the equipment, you'll be able to make jigs for assembling frames
and boxes, hive stands etc.

That's my experience so far anyway.

anything