Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding a TBH question  (Read 3017 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Feeding a TBH question
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
I just lost my daughter's TBH. It was a small colony and I put an entrance feeder inside, on the opposite side of the follower board. I didn't want my Lang. hives getting the syrup in their supers. Well, they evidently got robbed out because after 4 quarts of syrup, there wasn't a drop in their comb. Then ants move in, and the TBH colony absconded. How do you feed a TBH colony without attracting ants and robbing?

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
Re: Feeding a TBH question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:13 am »
The same as a Lang, really -

Make sure the bees don't have too much space to defend
Reduce the entrance
Take counter-measures against ants (vaseline/cinnamon/stand hive legs in water or oil)
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

bbhb

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:25:43 pm »
If the hive is not full, the feeder can go on the inside side of the follower.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:55 am »
  I haven't had to feed my TB hives but if I did I would try to baggie feed inside the hive or use some type of comunity feeder away from it. In my limited experience entrance feeders are good for water, reducing the entrance and not much else.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.