Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: idea for cold weather feeding.  (Read 2540 times)

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
idea for cold weather feeding.
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:33 pm »
i want my bees to be able to access their food supply this winter if they need it.  i built a deep sized box, insulated the sides and gave it a bottom.   i took my old top feeders and filled the center slot with a piece of wood that had several saw cuts to allow minimal ventilation from the hive and added vents in the side of the feeder box as well.
i modified my top cover to block entry from outside.

i'm hoping this is insulated well enough to allow them to leave the cluster and feed.  any thoughts ?   thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: idea for cold weather feeding.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:31:02 pm »
I don't think insulating the feed box will make any difference.  They will only be able to feed on warm days when they are not in the cluster.   I would worry about giving them that much space, they may move into the top box and with feed start building comb.  Maybe?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »
Feeding syrup (adding moisture to the hive) is never a good idea in the winter.  Good chance of giving them dysentery.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »
Feeding syrup (adding moisture to the hive) is never a good idea in the winter.  Good chance of giving them dysentery.
yeah, i was thinking up to October possibly.   i'm using one now to see if they try to build  so far all they do is walk around killing the few ants that get in.    what would you think about using just the top box as hive insulation ?   would it help the cluster maintain their heat ?
i'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve should they go into fall without proper reserves.

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »
I think you would just be building an attic for there heat to rise into, it would make the cluster cooler.  The popular option of this is a material above them to absorb moisture but not there heat, burlap bags, wood chips, wool, towels.
   I used wood shavings last year with some dry sugar below, worked good, I checked the shavings once a month and only 1 started getting to wet and had to be changed,  works great to wick away moisture.  Keep creating , have fun.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:56:10 pm »
Feed dry sugar or fondant. Then you don't have to insulate or worry about moisture.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:21 am »
The late fall, early winter in NC is relatively mild for the bees. Last year the bees were still drinking from the entrance feeders well in to November. After that, I put newspaper down on top of the frames and covered it with dried sugar.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

anything