Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many certified Master Beekeepers do we have here?  (Read 8219 times)

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
Re: How many certified Master Beekeepers do we have here?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
Where I live we do not have an assoc. or even an inspector. I know that will start something but the Farm Bureau couldn't get me in touch with one. Good old New York.   Tony

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:52 pm »
I think there are three inspectors for the whole of Texas. My local agriculture office knows zip, zero, nada about bees. And I don't think there is any club or organization within 200 miles.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:29:40 am »
We have 2 or 3 associations withing a 100 mile radius of where I live.  Last I knew, there were about 3 or 4 inspectors in all of PA.  I wonder what qualifications they need to become inspectors.    :?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline babathemba

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 03:12:11 pm »
I suspect that some beekeepers have 30+ years experience, and others have been doing the same thing every year for 30+ years.  Hands on experience is vital, yet one is liable to reinvent the wheel.   For me, access to journals and to courses is the fastest way to tap into the wisdom of others and  of the past (read Langstroth's book over the holidays, published in 1850's and quite marvellous) and thus to hasten my understanding of what I'm seeing in the hives.  The Master Beekeeper course is the ultimate challenge, at leas for me.   It  exposes me to things I may not witness first hand in my  hives, and offers alternative solutions that I may not  have considered.   The girls seem to appreciate it - they hate it when they suffer  because of my ignorance and stupidity, both of which I have in spades.

I spent a few days with a state bee inspector last year and the overwhelming impression  is that the MAJORITY of beekeepers should not be let within a mile of a hive.  And those are the one who are registered with the state!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »
understudy, if you get folks together for something like that, i'd come.  it would be nice if you did it in the winter!!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 08:38:28 pm »
If they offered the master course I would sign up, for the education, to meet other beeks, and to get the ball rolling on having programs for this hobby or part-time job for some of the bigger hive collectors