Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need Help in removing large bottom deep  (Read 5295 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Need Help in removing large bottom deep
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 12:45:07 am »
Well my friends, this is what I finally did.

I followed Michael Bush's suggestion and transferred that one frame of brood from the full super into the 2 mediums. The reason I finally did it this way is, we are having an unusual cold snap right now with the temperatures going down into the 40's at night all week perhaps.

That hive really needed to be made smaller as soon as possible due to it being so weak right now, and this way seemed better as I was able to get that large super off the hive immediately.

I do have a question though. After I removed that frame of brood, I shook as many bees out of the full super as I could and then I just placed that super on the ground near the hive (on its side). So the bees have been visiting that super all day I noticed and I think there are still many bees in that super that haven't left yet. Will they just all leave tonight???

The only thing that was left in that super after I took the frame of brood out, was pollen and empty comb.

Do I just go get the super early tomorrow morning???  Hopefully all the bees left overnight.

Thanks for the help
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Need Help in removing large bottom deep
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:29 pm »
Well, I will answer my own question.

This morning when I went up to get the super, all the bees had left except for a few that died in the super.

All the pollen was still in the wax combs as Robo said it would be.

I cleaned up the frames and super and I am now freezing the frames for a few days, before packing the super away in plastic lawn bags.

Thank you all for the tremendous help in doing yet another new and exciting task for the bees

Annette