Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeeHaver! Ta da!  (Read 925 times)

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
BeeHaver! Ta da!
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
Hived my first packages (2) today, actually about 1 1/2 hours ago. They have to be the gentlest bees there are. I probably did everything wrong and only got stung once, on the left wrist. I think she got stuck under my shirtsleeve cuff.
Dandelions are coming up and the chokecherry trees are budding out, 'it's gonna be a good day tater'. If the sleet tonight doesn't mess that up.
My question is: I pulled the cork on the queen cages and set across the bottom of a couple frames (foundation-less), can I leave the cages in there till the weather straightens up? The queen cages didn't have any attendants. Is this the norm?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:55:03 am by ray »
Live long and prosper!

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
Re: BeeHaver! Ta da!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
I'm fairly new at this, but I have seen where people put the cage in between the top of two frames and "sandwhich" it there.  They usually pull the cork and install a marshmallow...the bees will eat it out and release her within three days.  The method you describe, I'm unsure of, but it doesn't mean it won't work!  Yes you can leave the cage in there for some time.  "The queen cage didn't have any attendants"...do you mean in the cage with her?  If so, that is normal.  The worker bees will feed and attend her thru the mesh screen on the one side.

Fun eh?!  I did 11 packages this afternoon...I'm finally get used to the bumping and buzzing...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: BeeHaver! Ta da!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »
Pull the cork on candy side.  There are normally attendants with the queen.    You will need to check to see if the queen has been released in a couple of days.   You can remove the cage then.  Do you have any strips in your frames to help the bees drawn wax right?