Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The holy hive  (Read 1913 times)

Offline beekeepingnoobs

• New Bee
    • Beekeeping Noobs
The holy hive
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:57:14 pm »
I mean, a hive that has a hole at the bottom. I'm trying to keep the girls cozy so I  hate that the back door is open. It has just rotted away. I have plenty of wells, frames and supers. How would y'all recommend moving the bees? I was thinking that I would get a new well, paint it all pretty and place the  old frames in the new well. Anybody think that would be a bad idea or have suggestions on when to do it?  I also have a hive that is just six wells stacked on top of each other and they get in where one of the wells is askew. I'm planning on moving them into new hives later so my holey hive will be a test run. I got a great vid of them washboarding that I'll be posting on my blog later, it's on my profile. Happy beekeeping and thanks in advance.
Jimmy

http://beekeepingnoobs.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:11:49 am by buzzbee »
They don't really sting do they?

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: The holy hive
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:05 am »
I don't think I understand. Your brood box has holes in it, from rot? Do you have the rot issue under control?

If it's just a hole, plug it up with wood putty. I do it all the time, works great.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:36 am »
yes you can just switch the frames.  they won't mind.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beekeepingnoobs

• New Bee
    • Beekeeping Noobs
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:05 am »
Yea, there is a hole at the bottom back of my brood box. Take a look at my blog if it's still not clear, it's on my profile. It would be great if I was able to just putty it up. Thanks for the suggestion. Otherwise, I'll paint up a new box to drop those frames in.
They don't really sting do they?

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:53:31 am »
Just saw the pic, and yeah, quickwood or epoxy putty will work well. I just did it last spring to one of mine.

Epoxy putty is very sticky, and once it attaches it's there for a while, so just make sure that it sticks to the box, and not the bottom board. Sprinkle some flour on the bottom board to make sure that it doesn't stick to it if you have to.

I couldn't quite tell, but it looked like your hive was sitting on the ground. If so, get it up off the ground with some cinder blocks and/or some pressure treated wood. If you let it sit on the ground the wood will rot fast.

Offline conky

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:16 am »
Noobs not sure how long bees have been unattended but if it's been awhile I'd add the suggestion of really taking your time and cleaning all the burr and brace comb off the frames. It may look like your destroying a lot(may have to scrape some brood or drone cells) but it'll make it far easier to manage in the future.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 01:23:31 pm »
Since you are not going for aesthetics....slap a little white duct tape on it and you'll be as good as new  :-D   Don't think I am joking, I have done this and speak from personal experience. :roll:  Then when you get more equipment, you may want to change things out and do some "remodel" work on those boxes.  A little sanding and paint and you will get many more years out of them.
-Mike

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »
but back the duct tape so that there is no sticky exposed to the bees.  they will stick to it and it's sad   :'(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 01:33:38 pm »
i looked at the picture.  that box has serious issues.  that putty fall out in short time as the wood around the hole is also rotten.   if it were mine i would swap it out for another and cut the bad one down to a super.

anything