Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Type of paint for pine woodware  (Read 3342 times)

Offline dulley

• New Bee
Type of paint for pine woodware
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:26 am »
I have my woodware for my new hives primed with latex primer. Should I use a glossy topcoat finish or a matt finish for the exterior?  A glossy exterior would be easier to keep clean, but I was wondering which bees prefer.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Type of paint for pine woodware
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:08:23 am »

Welcome to the forum,
I think paint what appeals to you better. The bees will not mind either way!

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
hi welcome to the forum , you might want to change your location because at the moment its set up helplessly lost. This helps people when you ask questions that might be area specific. From what i have read the bee's don't really care as long as its Latex which is the safest

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:49:32 am »
whichever is cheapest. the only exterior part of my hives i have ever cleaned is the telescoping cover.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:33:37 pm »
I like a latex acrilic but only buy what wal-mart or hardware stores mistint usually get these for much less than if you walked off the street and had them make it. Usually don't even primer I just put 2-3 coats of paint what ever looks best.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:54:20 am »
   I use a primer and then what ever outdoor paint I can find that's mistinted at Sear's or any hardware store.  The Walmarts here told me they turn all their mismatches back for recycling.  Color not an issue and I'm finding the bees seem to home in on their hive easier when you have six in a row and they minumize drifting.  I learned this from the folks here and then watched it work on my hives.

UHHMMMM! I forgot to mention I never use oil based.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »
I use a primer and then what ever outdoor paint I can find that's mistinted at Sear's or any hardware store.

A lot of my boxes have only Kilz primer on them.  I also have regular ol' interior house paint on my hives.  Whatever you have laying around or is on sale. I agree that various colors help bees find their homes easier.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:28:11 pm »
I have my woodware for my new hives primed with latex primer. Should I use a glossy topcoat finish or a matt finish for the exterior?  A glossy exterior would be easier to keep clean, but I was wondering which bees prefer.

I'm a painter. Gloss is not an issue,use what ever you like best. Do a proper job the first time, prime,use exterior acrylic latex and you won't have to do it again any time soon 8-)
God bless Us all!!