Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintering, ventilation, and polystyreen feeders  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
Re: Wintering, ventilation, and polystyreen feeders
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:30:21 pm »

Screened bottom.

Bottom is open and no need for upper system.

Screened bottom is sentisite to wind blow. Take care of that.

Presumably, you use screened bottoms. Have you found an adequate way to set up wind baffles? I'm thinking that I might just use empty supers with screen stretched across them with a grid of luan or something below the mesh to help break the wind. The only trouble, here, is: would that not just help direct the wind up into the hive?

Must find engineer with access to wind tunnel...
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline GNHONEY

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 11:32:13 pm »
I drill a hole about the size of a penny right above the handle on top deep. also put on enterance reducer problem solved no need to get complicated very easy to do -----gnhony-----

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 07:19:43 pm »
Please note: proper ventilation of a hive.  From the bottom up in this order.  Hive stand, Screened bottom board w/blocked entrance, slatted rack (thermo spacer, etc.), hive bodies, 2nd slatted rack (bee expansion area), upper entrance (a solid bottom board turned upside down works).
There is room for bees to expand due to temperature and brood build up prior to putting on supers and the air flow is controlled.  The chimney runs from the top entrance to the ground, the natural cracks between the bottom board and the hive stand allows the air to enter and flow upward.  The entrance at the highest point of the hive allows the moisture to vent instead of condense on the underside of the top.  It's simple and it works due to limited but natural air flow. 
As long as your hives don't get blown over or ravaged by a bear they will survive given sufficient stores.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything