Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4th swarm of 2011  (Read 6523 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
4th swarm of 2011
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:55 pm »
We just picked up our 4th swarm of the season. It had just moved into a trash can that was being used as a compost bin. I jus taped off the entrance and wheeled the can to the truck...2 minute removal tops!

We're about to open it up for the first time now that it's in the home apiary.

Video to follow :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: 4th swarm of 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »
Can't wait :)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:37:29 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the video.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »
Two minutes!?!?

Okay, I have to ask. Can anyone else beat that?  ;)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »
Here's a little teaser for ya :-D As it turns out I didn't have any frames laying around to hive them with so we just took a peek inside the can. I'll have to run out to the shop in the morning to rectify that.

They have a bit of comb so this will be a cut out (although a simple one). I'll try to post more tomorrow evening.

4th swarm of 2011_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »
Sweet.   Can't wait for part 2.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »
Appetite piqued I wish I lived in a warmer climate. I know I am still a newbie but yet to see a swarm much less pick one up.  Sigh. Stick to cutouts I guess.  Free bees are free bees.
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:09:52 pm »
good job scott and peg. swarm season is about to bust out here.this cold front that just came through will slow them down till next week.   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »
C'mon Scott,  that's like given us a lick of an ice cream cone and telling us we can have the whole thing tomorrow.  :-D. Just kiddin around with ya.  I know it takes time to edit and all.  Looking forward to the rest of it.  Thanks for all of your and peggy's time you guys put into videoing (if that's a word)  so the rest of us can enjoy.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 12:14:49 am »
We get a kick out of it jm. I'm glad you like it! Schawee...can't wait to get elbow deep in bees with ya at Bud's!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:30:13 am »
This reminds me of a swarm I got this past summer. They were in a compost bin, the kind that turns around. The owners kept turning the compost in the hopes of discouraging the bees from staying in there. No deal!! They stayed. We scooped them up with our hands and put them into a box. Never saw the queen although we tried really hard to find her, but we knew she was in the box due to all the fanning. I went back at 10:00PM and brought them home.

I am really enjoying your videos Scott and Peggy. Keep them coming.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:01 am »
You coulda brought that garbage can down with the pop up bees, add pink Flamingos. Do I see a theme developing here?  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »
Update: I've been just neck deep in bees lately (and loving it) and hadn't gotten around to hiving the trash can bees...you guessed it, they second guessed their choice of homes and took off again! Luckily we were able to snatch them again :-D

1 swarm, 2 captures_0001.wmv

It wasn't the prettiest swarm shake that's ever been done, but it worked :)

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:31 am »
nice.....so how many times did you get stung?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 12:13:57 am »
0  :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:25 am »
Another great video.   X:X thanks for the update.

James

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 07:56:31 am »
nice catch!!

thanks for the video!!

bees filling the air, can't wait for a couple of swarm calls!!

question??    with a screened bottom on the nuc and the nuc sitting on top of a barrel, how does that affect the nuc when it rains and the top of the barrel is holding water on top of it?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 08:04:21 am »
I hope swarm season spreads North this year!! :)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 08:40:42 am »
0  :-D

Scott

WoW,  im not scared anymore lol.  cant wait for bees
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »
Two minutes!?!?

Okay, I have to ask. Can anyone else beat that?  ;)

My daughter and I may have beaten that once last year in Alamo, CA. Fairly large swarm gathered on a thin branch of a young tree staked in a front lawn. The tree was probably 10-11ft, but the weight of the swarm bent the branch down to chest height. Daughter held the bucket, I snipped the branch and lowered them in as she closed it with the lid. Out of the car, bees in the bucket and on our way in no time at all. Oh, we did get delayed a bit getting back to the car when we had to stop and collect the $50 that the homeowner insisted we take  :)  I learned that it pays (literally) to have a cute kid with you on collections. There were two times that the homeowners gave her money directly and told her to use it as she wished. Pretty cool.

anything