Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Southern Africa  (Read 2463 times)

Anonymous

Greetings from Southern Africa
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:20:20 pm »
Nice group just found it. I am a native Ohioan who now lives in Lesotho in Southern Africa for the past 15 years or so. My dad taught me beekeeping when I was just in my single digits. He was a proffessor of Physics but loved the life of a beekeeper so much more and i can remember having over 100 hives at times and doing some blueberry pollination even. I went through alot of careers and now find myself back with the bees for the past seven years (I also run a essential oils production company). Now I run about 600 hives in South Africa and do some consulting all over Africa and a bit in Asia, what a fun job. If anyone has any questions I can help with I will try. What I can say id I believe pollination contracts will soar in the US in the next 10 years and beekeeping will be a lucrative business there. Here in RSA beekeepers make a fortune on pollination.

Best,

Nathan

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 01:13:23 pm »
wow, talkabout monopalizing honey bee's! lol

sounds like alot of work and fun!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:36:39 am »
Welcome, good to see someone else from the southern hemisphere.'

Im not stupid, your only here because the Springboks are better than the Wallabies atm.

600 hives in RSA, geeze sounds cool.

What do they feed on? I know you got accacias there but Im pretty ignorant of the flora there.

anything