Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Question  (Read 4079 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
A Question
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:15 am »
OK so I have read the article about starting an emergency queen. I don't have the time or expertise for that. What would happen if I took a good strong hive deep and set it on a new base. Would they make a new queen or would they die out?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: a Question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:11:09 am »
OK so I have read the article about starting an emergency queen. I don't have the time or expertise for that. What would happen if I took a good strong hive deep and set it on a new base. Would they make a new queen or would they die out?

What is the situation here for us to draw from?

A queenless colony with the right resources can make a new queen from worker eggs or very young larvae.

A good set up for this is any queenless colony packed with bees, the more bees, the better.

If you are trying to do a simple split, place the queenless hive where the old, queenright colony was and you will pick up returning bees to boost the new set up.

No matter what you do, you are on the bee's time table and you will have to wait for them to make a new queen. If you can't wait, then you will need to purchase a queen.

I'm giving this a shot based on very little information. Hope this helps.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:46:46 am »
They would attempt to make a new queen and most likely would succeed at it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#walkaway
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:23:13 pm »
Thank you both for the info. I have a swarm I pick up about 1 year ago. They have been struggling so I need a new queen. However I can't buy one. They just found small hive beetle here. There is one place that sells queens to hobby keepers like myself. Now they can't sell here in Hawaii. Hawaii law says that you can't import any live or dead bees, used equipment or anything like that. Most other beekeepers here are in the same spot I am so they won't sell any queens. I have a strong hive that I will split and eventually merge with the swarm hive. Again thanks for the info.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »
Orvette, why don't you give the weaker colony a brood frame with worker eggs and tiny larvae. Put the weak hive where the strong one is and the strong one wherever you like.

Keep that strong hive strong. Do what I suggest and you will help that weaker hive instantly.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »
The hives are close to each other so changing position will not help I shouldn't think. The reason I don't put frames of brood and larvae in is because the queen is weak I think. They have just barely filled the lower 10 frames in 1 year. It isn't like we get cold or snow, so I think she needs to be replaced. The good hive has built and gotten stronger in just 6 months, so it isn't the lack of food. I'll try to get a new queen going from the strong hive, maybe that will help. Thanks

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »
If you were to place the weaker hive in the exact spot the strong hive is in and move the stronger hive say even 40-50 feet, the  returning foragers of the strong hive will go right into the weaker hive. Now that is fact.

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »
And remember, they won't even try to raise a new queen if they have one already (even if she's not up to snuff) you gotta pinch the old one.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »
Orvette. You seem to not want to accept the info you asked for. In your weak hive kill the old queen and give them a frame of eggs and young larvae from your good hive. They will raise a new queen. If they don't make queen cells the first time repeat with another frame of eggs/larva after a week. If you want to build them up fast then place the weak hive where the strong hive is sitting and move the strong hive a few feet away; you will capture the foragers from the old hive. If you don't care to do this then let 'em die!!! Free country, free advice, your free choice!!!!!!!!

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:37 pm »
Thank you all for your help. It wasn't that I was not taking your advice. I just didn't understand it. I couldn't understand why putting some frames and moving the hive would help. Eventually someone said you have to pinch off the queen, and it made sense. I took some advice from some local beekeeper. He said since we can't get queens he said to just start a new hive, using frames from the good hive, and try to restart the bad hive and see if the queen gets better. So I did. We shall see how that works. Again, thanks for the help.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08:04 am »
That is exactly what we were trying to tell you to do, but we are doing so over the internet, whereas your mentor is there in person. Best of luck!

...JP

anything