Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am all ears, give us a rundown please  (Read 18774 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: I am all ears, give us a rundown please
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »
acebird; your responses sometimes come across as insulting, that said, many of your questions are also very good for beginners (and beeks w/ moss).  I'm Just hoping they're not turned off by some of your remarks and decide to shut you down and out.

Beekeeping has an extremely sharp learning curve.  That is a fact.  It may not be Rocket Science, but its close :-D

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »
he won't get shut down, or out.  we are a pretty patient bunch and i, at least, realize that things on here don't always come across as we intend  :evil:.

i would never want to discourage a new(ish) beekeeper.  i remember how enthused i was when i first started and i remember the very basic questions i asked.  whenever i am going to try something new, i come back with basic, and for some of the old timers here, probably stupid, questions. 

i thinks folks on here get pretty wide latitude unless the just get  nasty.  that has happened......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »
kathyp; you are soooo right.  thankyou for your insight and advise (most of the time :-D)

thomas

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »
You wouldn't want to pull a center frame first.

It is my experience that you can't anyway.  That center one is glued in so bad you have to break the frame to get it to budge.  I always go for the outside one first.  That is probably something you can learn on your own.

That may be true in a new hive, but a mature hive everything is so glued and tight that I found it easier to pull from the middle.  Yes, and learned the hard way.  Not anymore....
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »
Seeing as how you already have all the answers, why do you even need to post questions on a forum then dispute everything that people say and then start with the insults?

I am very sorry you take my respones as insults.  I am here to see what people think because I don't know everything.  I agree with some ideas and I disagree with other ideas.  It is far fetched to say I dispute everything that people say.  As what has already been stated by someone else, there is no consensus when it comes to beekeeping.  The nearest I can tell is it is 50/50 on almost all topics.  So if I side with the first 50 I am the bad guy on the last 50.  How is that, because I am the new guy?

You are better not siding with anybody.  Both sides are right.  Being relatively new here, if you try arguing a side, you are going to end up being chewed up, most issues have been beaten to death already.   And if you side against anybody, a finger pointed at only one year's experience will be able to say "on what grounds...". :-D

I can tell you that what I did and how I did it changed drastically in the first few years of beekeeping.  With all the reading and questions I'm sure the second year goes a lot better for you.

Rick
Rick

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:55 pm »
Quotefrom acebird: I think most will agree that winter is the slow period when it comes to beekeeping so I got a couple of months to learn what I can so I can decide what I am going to do next season.

Winter is the slow period of beekeeping only in that the beekeeper is not actively engaged in working his bees.  It is still a time for a lot of repair and preperation from last season for next season.  Beekeeping is a 12 months a year side job, unless your a commercial beekeeper and then it's a 12 months a year occupation.

At one point during this discussiion it was mentioned at it is easy to word posts in a way that another might take the wrong way.  I've seen a lot of that as I've read through this post.  Those who have posted short retorts need to man up, develop a thick skin and take the time to realize that a put down was probably not intended.  I read every post as if anything that might be taken as a put down was just unintended wording, as a result I seldom get my feathers ruffled, although I have taken offense on a few occassions and then I leave to doubt as to how and why I was offended.

Beekeeping is one of the most amazing hobbies, avocations, or occupation a person can have and one can never learn enough about them.  (My other hobbies of pigeon racing and ham radio are also interesting) and a person should approach beekeeping with an attitude of acheiving an eager education.  Ask questions, read/listen to the answer, then decide upon a course of action.

I'ver noted comments in some of the postings on this website about turning the hive during the winter.  This idea, to me, is a good way to lose behives as they are being disoriented at a time they need orientation the most.  In the times I experimented with this concept I lost the hive 90% of the time, even strong hives.  Now I have my hives facing south driecting into the majority of the winter winds in my area (winds that somethimes reach 80+ mph) and haven't lost a hive except when it was knocked over by flying materials (sheet of plywood) and split apart during a storm.

If you ask 20 beekeepers a questions, expect 22 answers.  Use what experience you have (even if it consists only of introductiong a package bees to a hive last week) to sift through those answers for a likely course of action, settle on one, or meld a few together into a seperate answer and impliment it.  If it fails, learn from it and move on to the next round.  Don't become discouraged, and try not to be offended by the sarcastic smart allecks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:12 am »
wasn't the original topic title "I am all ears?" :)

thomas

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2011, 01:23:37 pm »
In the times I experimented with this concept I lost the hive 90% of the time, even strong hives.

I wish I could have got your take last Fall when we did it.  As a new beek you tend to be gallable when someone tells you what they do as though it is successful.

Thanks for sharing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything