Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms...  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
Swarms...
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:27:43 pm »
Well... I lost a swarm yesterday, they were gone by the time I got back with a box to put them in, I did learn the importance of having an empty box on hand though....  

Anyway, had another swarm this morning, they were going nuts while I was working in the garden, I got stung twice. They were very aggresive, almost to the point of a Hitchcock movie...  I caught that swarm with a queen.

I went ahead and opened my oldest hive for an inspection. It has 2 queen cells in it. What do you suppose would happen if I removed the frams with the queen cells and put them in a box with a few drones and workers? Would them form a new colony or do you think they would all die?

I bought another colony from Hummer & Son yesterday, so far so good with them.
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Swarms...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:51:10 pm »
What do you suppose would happen if I removed the frams with the queen cells and put them in a box with a few drones and workers?

All things being equal they would raise a new queen.

> Would them form a new colony or do you think they would all die?

Probably form a new colony.

The hitch is it will leave the old colony hopelessly queenless and it will die.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin