Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: !st swarm of 2011!  (Read 4802 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
!st swarm of 2011!
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:14:04 am »
Picked up my first swarm call of the season today! It was 15' or so high in an oak in a hospital parking lot (security didn't want me to video it) and took about 15mins to snatch :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: !st swarm of 2011!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:17 am »
Congrats 'I have not done one yet(ever)
my cut out in the beginning of the week went like clock work
and being a green horn had camera on wrong setting so only 3 pic's
of comb came out
I need a good Helper

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
Good to hear your cut out went well Tommy...you'll be a pro in no time! I've got family over your way and get calls from them from time to time about removals. I'll refer them over to you if you'd like.

Will you be heading over this way for Bike Week?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:44:10 am »
No bike week my Ol is sick and my son sold his house (right off Dunlawton) I may do a one day round tripper
If it weren't for all you guys filming I wouldn't know which end was up
this was is a soffit so it went like the last one JP had 3.5 comb
The bad was I had used a vac on some and had it too Strong some didn't due too well with the sudden stop ( :? )
on the plywood
I'm planning on putting in some landing pad lol Pillow Stuffing
I truly was angry at myself for over vac-in
I won't do another for 0 this took 6 hours non stop

Abraham Lincoln

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:21 am »
I'm jealous... still deep Winter here today and for the next week at least.  Tommyt - helpers are a VERY good thing.  Maybe a local bee club can hook you up with someone - take turns or something with who gets the bees.  I'm lucky - I gave birth to a helper seventeen years ago. :-D  And the great part is HE was the one who got me into beekeeping, although he complains that I have taken over his hobby. (Oh, shut-up and hand me another empty frame...)

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »
So just why did security not want the swarm videoed?  Bad pr that bees like hospitals?

Offline doug494

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:20:51 pm »
Most likely HIPPA concerns over catching patients on film (or patients thinking they were filmed and suing).

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:04 am »
Scott, I know of a good home for that swarm if you don't already have one.  ;)
Dean0

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
DeanO, Talk to you bud Dennis2021~ :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »
Scott, I talked to Dennis2021 about the newly acquired swarm and he does not want to part with them.  I don't blame him because it will give him a great opportunity to compare a cut-out, a swarm and a split.  I was able to spend about an hour with him going through his hives this afternoon.  We found no queen cells in the larger hive like we did last weekend so that it a good sign they are not about to swarm.  When we opened the smaller, weaker hive, it had a distinctly louder sound than the stronger hive.  I told Dennis2021 that I had read that that roaring sound is a good indication that the hive might be queenless.  Good news is we found the queen and capped brood.  I got stung last weekend and got popped twice today...No MAJOR reaction to report so my concerns about being allergic are behind me.

Keep me in mind the next time you need or want to find a good home for a swarm.  I have 2 vacant lake front "new construction" hive bodies available for  some  :bee: :bee: :bee: The last week of March or the first of April seems like a long ways away especially now that my citrus trees are almost in full bloom. Thanks!!

Dean0

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:33 am »
Scott
 I reread your post, Yes I'll take the family calls you get this way
I'll PM you phone number ,thanks for the offer
  I got my first swarm yesterday, It was the First literally  :-D
I drove 50 miles for it, but I have it under my belt.
 I got a nice full Nuc out of it. I got up this morn and put a 2nd
box on top.
This bee stuff is great.

Thanks

Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »
Tommy it's great to hear the genuine love for the girls.  I am in my 2nd year and only did one cutout last year.  I started late.. (May)  I have my info all over south eastern PA but darn if it wasn't 33 this morning. Going to have to wait a bit for swarms.  My two hives (Cut out, and purchased Nuc from BjornBee are doing well.)  Looking forward to hearing your exploits between now and when I can get into the mix.!!
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »
I picked up my second swarm today. I'll try to post a little video soon :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »
So you now have caught twice as many swarms as anybody else here if my math works out right.   :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:01 am »
Very exciting Scott to be in the groove of catching swarms already. We probably don't start for another month.

anything