Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive combination question  (Read 1296 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Hive combination question
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »
I have a hive that was badly robbed on July 12.  Many bees were killed but the robbing stopped as soon as I put on a robber screen and completely closed up the hive overnight. 

The queen was not killed and there is still young brood in the hive nearly 3 weeks later.  However this is a swarm hive that started really slowly and is still only in one deep box.  I don't think they can build up enough to make it through the winter.

I have another slow-to-start up swarm hive - this one in two medium boxes.  I have been feeding both hives with baggie feeders since the robbing incident and the hive in medium boxes is thriving. 

I'd like to combine the two hives, but have little confidence that I can find and/or kill the queen in the robbed hive.  Can I combine without finding the queen and leave the two to duke it out? 

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Hive combination question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:20:29 pm »
Sure, they'll sort it out. I combined a number of swarms this year, because I didn't have the equipment to set each one up in a separate hive.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC