Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They really don't like black with pics!  (Read 3616 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
They really don't like black with pics!
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:06:27 pm »
Well, got a swarm call a little while ago. Was out the door and there in about 20 minutes, pretty decent size swarm, the type of swarm call you like to get, approx. 5' off the ground on a limb. You know ordinarily, swarms are friendly things, unless you're wearing a black t-shirt like I was today. You know, I have dark hair as well but that never enticed a swarm to sting me before, today. Yes today was a different case, I had a little audience of three and they were set to take pictures and I was pumped... So I stick my noggin right there next to that cluster, and start posing, with the wind by the way blowing from the bees to me, and about 20 or so decided I was worth stinging. Where are those Michael Bush trees when you need them! Did I run like a panzy? You bet I did, never hollored for my momma though, that was my saving grace. Still had to go back in and give my little audience the feeling like I knew what I was doing, so after scraping out stingers from my arms and face and even stomach, I suited up and went back in. This time the text book swarm capture went off without a hitch. After a few pics, I tucked my tail between my legs and went on home. Hey, I even took a few of the red eye, for those who wanna poke some fun. Go ahead take a stab, I can handle it!!! :-D ;)
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March92008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: They really don't like black with pics!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:17:32 pm »
Jp you sure do get a lot of swarms there. Next time you find one ask them to fly to Colorado. By the way nice pictures!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:19:51 pm »
Shawn I'll try to send the cold blooded ones your way, if I can find any!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:49:09 pm »
I like the pics. They did't like you but it appears they like the new home you gave them. Wish you had video.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:52:19 pm »
Oh JP I am LOL and I haven't  even looked at the pictures yet! LOL, I took a hit to the left upper arm, wasn't working with them, just got too close to the swarm hive I guess ( it is near my tool shed )...now, on to the pics!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:54:51 pm »
Wonder what the eye will look like tonight? :-D

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:37:31 pm »
Dogone, JP!
 That sure looked like a BIG clump of bees to me! It looked as if a garbage can woulda been the size of container to put them in!
 Yeah, we wanna see what your eye looks like later!!(POKE POKE)
 Do you keep all these bees you catch?
your friend,
john

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:51:39 pm »
Beautiful photos JP. Congrats on the new hive, and battle scars to go along with it. Great work!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:29 am »
Dogone, JP!
 That sure looked like a BIG clump of bees to me! It looked as if a garbage can woulda been the size of container to put them in!
 Yeah, we wanna see what your eye looks like later!!(POKE POKE)
 Do you keep all these bees you catch?
your friend,
john

I keep most John, some I donate to scientific research, naw just kidding sounded good though huh. I keep some give some.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:59:50 am »
Beautiful photos JP. Congrats on the new hive, and battle scars to go along with it. Great work!

Thanks, Scott! Of course I'm much the amateur compared to you. I'm just glad for the automatic modes on cameras!

...JP

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:16 am »
Hey JP,

How do you like the beemaz bottom boards and covers.   I've been using the deeps for a year now and like them,  but have been building my own bottom boards and using my old covers.   I see betterbee just came out with a bottom board the same size as the supers,  I was thinking about giving them a try. I didn't care for the old design that hung out.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 10:49:02 am »
Hey JP,

How do you like the beemaz bottom boards and covers.   I've been using the deeps for a year now and like them,  but have been building my own bottom boards and using my old covers.   I see betterbee just came out with a bottom board the same size as the supers,  I was thinking about giving them a try. I didn't care for the old design that hung out.

rob...

Rob, the beemax design is ok, partial to the wooden boxes though, really bought the beemax to try them and also to use when I was in a jam and needed something fast. They put together in no time. The bees now seem to do very well in them.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:06:47 am »
JP, ooooh you make me wanna laugh, oooh you make me wanna shout!!!  Funnneeee.  I was laughing out loud.  I bet if you had indeed called for your mamma, things might have been different, hee, hee.  That's what you get for showing off and stickin' your noggin right next to the cluster.  I didn't realize you had a moustache and a beard, no wonder the bees got peed off!!!  And with a black shirt to boot, hee, hee, you deserved it!!!  Kidding aside.

YOu got a very nice box of bees there, that was a beautiful picture of that hanging down bunch of bees on the limb.  Now the last two pictures of you and your swollen up ol' face, hee, hee, sorry, but that made me laugh, that nasty, wishin' I had my green snips back laugh, I know I'll never get them back, in good shape anyways, because I can't give you a duck dinner.  Tell your sweet Wife that she needs to go and look for a breed of duck called Muscovy and cook it for you.  I bet she would, if you asked her really nicely, women do do nice things for their Husbands, (sometimes) you know, just ask her....see what she says.

Best of this beautiful and wonderful day, enjoy this life we all live and share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 04:48:52 pm »
 What, no respect? You's guys down south just need to learn a little respect goes a long ways toward the Queen being patient with you's.
 Show up with out the suit and it looks like you have no respect. And she teaches you's a lesson.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 04:58:25 pm »
One more reason NOT to carry a cameraq w/ you most of the time! No pictures, no proof.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 08:30:14 pm »
I'm still waiting for the movie. :-D 
There was BJ and the bear... Now we got JP and the bees.
OR instead of storm story on the weather channel we could have SWARM story with our host JP  :-D

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 09:05:34 pm »
Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share them.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 11:50:30 pm »
Man, you guys crack me up! Cindi, I had to take the pics of the swollen eye and show everyone. I remember that post when ya'll showed the stingy looking faces and have never forgotten that post. The last thing I would do is take a picture of a stung face but since ya'll did it, I figured I had to be a good sport and show you my pain. And yes it got more swollen as the night wore on. Wayne, that hive has earned my respect the hard way, let me tell ya!!!

...JP

anything