Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How can I determine if a cutout is survivor stock ?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
How can I determine if a cutout is survivor stock ?
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:49:05 pm »
I may have the opportunity to do my first cutout , it's in an abandoned farm house the owner wants to tear the house down and wondered if bees could be removed. He says the bees have been there 10 to 12 years he not sure if they survived this year yet, but said he will check when weather warms up,  I was just wondering if one winter on their own is considered survivor stock, are there any signs that the same bees have been there for several years as opposed to every year a new swarm taking over a hive that died out the year before? I can't wait to see this hive and take some pictures. I'm sure some of the seasoned beekeepers with a lot of cutouts under their belt have some signs in mind that makes them think that same hive has been there for several years?

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: How can I determine if a cutout is survivor stock ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »
No real way to know for sure.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:48 pm »
it might be that there have been multiple swarms that have moved in over the years.  unless it's a new swarm from this year or last, it's more likely that they would be good survivor stock.  they would be worth the effort in my opinion.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:15 pm »
The only way to know if a colony is survivor stock is to monitor it for X number of years until you are satisfied that colony is 'survivor' stock.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »
Dry, brittle comb towards the outside edges and unoccupied usually is a sign that new bees have moved in on older comb. I find that they may move in where there was once a colony that died or absconded and not even touch the old comb for some reason but build their own right next to the old stuff.

As CB said, the only way to know for sure is to watch every step of the way.

I'd go for it on the off chance anyway (of course I'd charge for it too).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:06:10 am »
No guarantees except for monitoring them but, if you are seeing lots of mutts (different colored bees) some jet black, and they are very small throughout, I would bet they have been feral for some time. Old really dark comb could be a sign as well, but could be a new swarm that settled in on a dead out as well.

If they are strong and exhibit good hygienic behavior those are worth the trouble to remove and relocate. Don't forget about placing swarm traps out either, on ones you suspect have been there a while that are perhaps too problematic for you to remove.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:17:03 am »
Who cares? What does it matter anyways?

Once you take them, they will live or die. And no doubt the dynamics of the location will be certainly be  different once you do take them. If they perform well, you can't market anything based on not knowing anything except what they do once you get them. And if they fail, you won't know if it was from you or just bad bees.

Bees in walls are influenced from the surrounding beekeeper managed genetics like anyone Else's colonies. Nothing to get excited about. Get the bees, monitor them, and go from there. Nothing will change in what will happen in the coming years based on labeling them one thing or another. If you call them survivor or you don't, it matters not a bit to the bees.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:28 am »
And just to mention again, one can always simply put out swarm traps. A lot easier than doing removals from structures.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:51:04 am »
Thanks for all the input.  I mainly want to get a little experience, I don't really care if they are survivor stock or not, it would be nice if they were , I would take them either way I was just wondering if their were any signs to look for to determine if the same hive had been there all these years.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 08:03:20 am »
If the Queen has dee Dot painted on her back
They Don't be Feral :shock:
 Day Be Rag-u-Lar Bought Beez

my 3 0r 4 cent :-D

Tommy
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 12:36:55 pm »
3 successive winters, same bees, same hive, you can start to call them survivor stock.  But, IMO, they don[t really qualify until they've survived 5 successive winters.  Why? Because winter severity varies greatly (as we've seen this year, especially) and it is not uncommon, in my area at least, to have 3 successive mild winters, but winter 4 or 5 will most likely be a killer, much like this year, lots of snow, lots of cold, wild flucuations in short periods of time.

Bees need to be tested to properly be labeled survivor stock and 5 years provides a more proven period of survivability.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »
I usually examine the bees carefully to see if they're of survivor stock.

If they have ripped tattered clothes, long scruffy beards, a wild look in their eyes, usually gripping a stone dagger...now them's some survivors!!! :-D
Rick

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
Chicks with long scruffy beards....YIKES!!!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »
My only cut out from last year, is jumping.  Tons of bees this spring and they built up nice over the summer last year with little assistance.  I would go for it because you never know when your next chance for free bees will show. Unless your JP and they fall like rain in a jungle.  8)
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

anything