Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: screened bottom boards  (Read 1916 times)

Offline hairbear

• New Bee
screened bottom boards
« on: August 18, 2006, 10:30:48 pm »
I bought some hives this spring that had screened bottom boards on them . We had a really dry summer , 4 of the hives superseeded.  1st of august I found 4 clusters of bees with a Queens on the bottom of the 4 hives all had started to draw out comb.  I moved them into a deep and they started to develope into a hive.  Today I found another large cluster of bees on the bottom of a screened bottom board on another hive. This is a very large cluster maybe 3 or 4 gallon of bees on a very strong hive. Why don't the bees find a tree or somthing else? Why would they be swarming at this time of year?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51:11 pm »
Crowded conditions inside the hive is usually the primary reason for swarms anytime of the year.  Bees can feel crowded even when a super is inplace if a queen excluder was installed as part of the supering.  Some hives just plain refuse to work beyond the barrier the exclude creates. It is better to use a slatted rack if a barrier between the brood boxes and the supers are desired.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hairbear

• New Bee
screened bottom boards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:33:02 am »
I guess I did not realize that bee would swarm like that. I am not familiar with a slatted rack.  When I bought these hives they all had queen excluders on them, some hives would not go past the excluder so I removed the exculder on the hives that wre not going into the supers. Is there any chance a swarm caught at this time of year can make through the winter?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
screened bottom boards
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:47:54 pm »
I have not had a lot of bees on the botom of the SBB but then mine are only 3 1/2" off the ground and the grass tries to grow under there.  I'm wondering if it isn't just an extension of a bee beard but on the bottom.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
screened bottom boards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:52:07 pm »
>>Is there any chance a swarm caught at this time of year can make through the winter?

Depends on several things: 1. Drawn comb is used exclusively, 2. Feed, feed, and feed some more,  3.  It was a large swarm ( a rarity this late in the season), and 4. weather conditions remain optimal.

If 1-3 are not met then the best thing to do is combine it with another hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!