Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introducing bees to a TBH. Newbee looking for help  (Read 7381 times)

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
Introducing bees to a TBH. Newbee looking for help
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »
Bees ordered.....check
State bee association.....check
Hive built.....check
Waiting with anticipation....check

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Can someone point me to a link the describes the process of introducing a purchased package of bees into a TBH?
Garlydog

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Introducing bees to a TBH. Newbee looking for help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:31:42 pm »
I'm not sure your going to find any instructions for installing packages into a TBH.  Should be similar to installing into a Langstroth.  I would recommend watching Beemasters video on package installing.  Especially the part on opening the side of the container instead of shaking them out through the little hole.  Easier on both you and the bees.  At this point I would just figure out how you will attach the queen cage to the top bars and how you will feed then syrup.  Other than that it seems like you got most of the stuff lined up.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:54 pm »
Wait till late afternoon as sun is going down.

Dump 'em in.    lol

No need to be fancy or anything to worry about.

Remove enuf TB's so one end is open, invert the pkg. into the hole and rap sharply so they all go in. If a few stragglers don't make it don't worry, just drop the container near the entrance and by dark they will find their way in.

I presume since you are a newbee that you wouldn't have any comb or anything laying around but don't worry it'll be just like them moving into a new tree.    lol

Tape or tie or whatever the queen to a TB near the center so she is inside the hive and feed 1:1 sugar : water.

I just throw a couple of the frame style feeders so they sit on the bottom inside and let them bee for a couple of days. Any kind of feeder even the baggie in the bottom inside and then w/a razor knife put a few slits in it.

Check to make sure queen has been released in 2 days as she has been w/them for a few extra getting ready and on the trip to you. If not out then just dig away at a the candy plug till is only a little left and is holed (hole going right thru) If it takes another day for them to clean it out so she gets out n.p.

Zit poof and you are now a beekeeper. I'd continue feeding the 1:1 syrup till they won't want it anymore.

Cheers 

peter

P.S. follow googlepagesTBH link below name for pics of when I installed mine.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:53 pm »
I think the Beemaster has a video on this site on installing a package of bees I'm sure youtube does also
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline GarlyDog

• New Bee
    • Sugar Creek Orchard
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:39:25 am »
Perfect.  Thank you.   
Garlydog

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:57:34 am »
The main warning I'd give is don't hang the queen between the bars and then leave them for several days as they will build comb on the cage and make a mess.  I'd direct release her, carefully.  A spritz of water or light syrup (one part sugar two parts water) on her so she doesn't fly so easily.  Make sure you have the cage down and your hand over the cage so she can't fly up easily or won't be tempted to.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 08:51:11 pm »
Michael,

Would the use of products such as Honey Bee Healthy do any good to help the package accept the queen at all? I think the reason they give is that it changes or disrupts the pheromones (?) for a bit.

DennisB

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:58:59 pm »
another thing would be to add a false back to reduce the area and make them start the brood nest in the front  8-10 bars; I use corregated plastic(politian signs)  atleast they will be good for something
to bee or not to bee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:08:03 pm »
Although I'm not Michael,  package bees usually have spent enough time in transit with the queen that acceptance is not an issue.  That is why Michael recommends releasing her.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 09:18:41 pm »
>Would the use of products such as Honey Bee Healthy do any good to help the package accept the queen at all? I think the reason they give is that it changes or disrupts the pheromones (?) for a bit.

I've never had trouble with acceptance when direct releasing a queen in a package.  It is a "non" problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:32:37 pm »
Why would you want to force them to build the brood nest in the front??

When left to their own devices they like it in the middle.

Is there a reason why you would think it's needed to change that??

cheers

peter

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »
>When left to their own devices they like it in the middle.

Mine have usually built it in the front.  Occasionally in the middle and more rarely in the back.
-------------------