Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: solar generator  (Read 9328 times)

Offline Rosalind

• House Bee
Re: solar generator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »

We have a huge creek that borders our property.  The property was once a small paper mill.  Getting the right to use the creek for anything is a governmental nightmare.  we could easily be off the grid if we could use that water power.

Is it a real creek or a mill-race? You'd think if it's a mill-race, you're just using it as previous owners did. Or are they more concerned about the critters?

I do wonder why the properties bordering rivers don't use microhydro more often. The nuclear power plants all build on riversides, then use the river water as heat exchanger coolant, why should it be OK for them but not for everyone else?

...Oh wait, I think I just answered my own question.
Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
why should it be OK for them but not for everyone else?

Because they have the power.  :-D

Anything to do with water takes an act of God to get approved in NYS.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 03:48:06 pm »
Down here it is all about protecting the water shed.   You can not do anything to disturb the 100 foot buffer around a creek now.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »
I would suspect it is nation wide.  Anytime you see a construction job they have bales of hay and a plastic wrapped fence to prevent runoff for all the good it does.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »
I have to carry a sub-contractors erosion card just to dig a single post hole on jobs now here. 

Offline Rosalind

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:58 pm »
Down here it is all about protecting the water shed.   You can not do anything to disturb the 100 foot buffer around a creek now.

True, but I see ever so many luxury condos and stuff going up right on the edge of rivers, reservoirs, lakes, etc. then being advertised as Lake Front Property and so on. I was thinking along the lines of, they were already going to disturb the heck out of it, they already got the permit to mess around, why not make your advertising into Super Eco-Condos With Green Power On Beautiful River Walk.
Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!

anything