Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Alabama  (Read 4300 times)

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
Greetings from Alabama
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:58 am »
Good morning! I am Loyd Mehaffey, from Shelby County, Alabama. Although I have been gardening - both ornamental and vegetable - for longer than I can remember, I have only very recently begun to prepare for keeping bees. I suppose it's a common story: our local beekeeper died a few years ago, his children did not keep the hives active, and the bee population in our community decreased to almost nothing. While there are other beekeepers nearby (within 10 miles), our gardens have been less and less productive without our pollinators....so, with enthusiasm sans experience or knowledge, I am now the owner of two hives, with two nucs to be picked up in late April, and a bee suit on order (that's another, slightly painful, story).

Good to meet y'all!!
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Greetings from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:27:53 am »
Welcome to Beemasters form I'm a first year beek so I'm not much help. There is a bunch of knowledge here and great people who will help you with what ever they can.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:25 am »
Welcome Fellow Alabamian!  Good to see you've joined us.  You're gonna love Beeking.  Sorry to hear about "and a bee suit on order (that's another, slightly painful, story)" but you weren't the first nor will you be the last.  We've all had a few painful stories we could tell about Beeking.  The Great News is the Wonderful Stories out number the Painful ones by far.  Beeking is just great fun. :)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:57 pm »
welcome I am also new this year.  I will be getting my package on the 20th of April. :mrgreen:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:08:32 pm »
Mine are slated for pick-up on the 23rd....I guess because most of the privet is in bloom around then (maybe I won't have to starter-feed as much).
Nice to meet you!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:50 pm »
Hello and Welcome  Loyd
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »
Welcome!  You will be hooked the minute you install your bees @ your place!  The people on the forum are great & have a gazillion & 5 years experience combined!  I don't think there are many situations that haven't been covered here, many times with many different solutions depending on your personality, location & situation!  Have fun, poke around everyones blogs or websites, past posts!  Again Welcome  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »
Welcome Fellow alabamian

North of you. This is a great place to learn. All post have something for someone. Enjoy

green
Believe!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:02:05 am »
Welcome Fellow alabamian

North of you. This is a great place to learn. All post have something for someone. Enjoy

green

Hello, Double Springs! Been there many times in my youth....did a lot of walking and backpacking in the Sipsey Wilderness. I think I may even have an ex-wife up there (it's been a while and a few, and the memories fade   ;) )

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:49 pm »
Hi Imehaffey

Sipsey is a beautiful place to be. I've lived here all my life and dont' think I've covered it all. My son loves it too, he went hiking just yesterday and said the river is really swollen right now and planing a canoe trip soon.  How long since you been up this way?

green
Believe!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 09:41:19 am »
Morning, green! It's been about 3 or 4 years since I was last in Double Springs - though I am in the general area several times a year. I was looking at properties for sale, as retirement is only a few years away. It's been a lot longer than 4 years since I actually did any camping up there, though!  :camp:

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »
Hey Imehaffey

Yep there are lot of people looking for property here especially on the lake, beautiful area. Wishing you good luck, hope you ring what your looking for!
Love that little camping scene  :-D sooooo cute!
Believe!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind wishes... I've slowed down on the searching (for now), as I just signed a 4-year contract to keep teaching at my school. Maybe by then, this economic mess will be settled down.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »
Lloyd, welcome to our forum, so nice that you found us.  Just wait until you get your bees, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.  The life of a beekeeper is very interesting and a whole lotta fun.  Stick around, here you will make new friends, have a place to ask questions, a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love new members!!  Have a most awesome and wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline NewSouth

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »
I have just joined this forum myself. Second year beek.

I am also in Shelby County AL.

Jefferson County has a beginning beeks class at the Botanical Gardens off of 280. They have a meeting every 3rd Thursday. Jefferson County Beekeepers Association has a web site with info.

You should be off to a strong start with Nucs. I started with a 3lb package last spring.

Welcome! Rick

anything